Respected Contributor

Re: do you remember these can soups>

@Neetgal2 wrote:

I do.  Also, a favorite one of mine from the 70's was Pepper Pot, Philadelphia, I think.  A Campbell's soup.

@Neetgal2 @newname0  Pepper Pot was my absolute favorite, Oyster Stew #2, loved them!  And @aroc3435 you mentioned Scotch Broth, I liked that too but don't remember the flavor, I'll have to up the description.  

Honored Contributor

A lot of people would be very very sad if those cream of soups were discontinued and a lot of our go-to recipes wouldn't be so go-to any more.  For a lot of America that would be a culinary loss. 

Some of the dishes we love at my house like dressing, and King Ranch Casserole wouldn't be the same without it. 

I actually like the vegetarian vegetable soup too when I want a quick meal.  And mixing some of the chicken soups with Margaret Holmes canned tomatoes and okra (with or without corn) gives a quick faux gumbo that is good especially if you have some left over rice and or chicken! (Fox gumbo if I'm being silly)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom.  That actually sound very good and hardy but un-turtlelike.  Great for a cold winter day.  Send dh and Kingston off with a big thermos of it on their next camping trip.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Back in the day, the ground sirloin was replaced with turtle meat.

DH and Kingston have a camping trip planned in Dec., so I just may send some that they can heat up on their campfire, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Awhile back, I saw someone post on Facebook about this soup, but I've never found it in my local area:

Campbell's Condensed Cream of Bacon Soup | Hy-Vee Aisles Online Grocery  Shopping

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yuck, Yuck on the Mock Turtle soup.  The first  15 ingredients were sounding good  Till  it got to the Eggs and lemon...  Those floating eggs  upset my stomach

Trusted Contributor

Re: I used to like Scotch Broth, Mulligitawny, Pea Soup, all...

@aroc3435 wrote:

@newname0   I used to like Scotch Broth, Mulligitawny, Pea Soup, all of which I believe they have discontinued.  Cream of Shrimp Soup was in the freezer case back in the, I want to say, '60s/'70s.

Then it was on the regular shelves though I haven't seen it recently.  

They still make Cream of Celery and Cream of Chicken.  I also like their Chicken Gumbo, which they may have discontinued.  I've used their Onion Soup.  They still make Golden Mushroom.

They had Bouillion, Consomme, Tomato with Vermicelli, and a Mock Turtle Soup.  They had Chicken WonTon--discontinued and not very good, so discontinued inn '70s/'80s? 

During the pandemic I think they are only producing the most popular lines.

I would bet that their most popular soups are Tomato, Chicken Noodle and the "Cream of" Soups being the most popular.  The Mushroom is probably tops in that category would be my guess.

Very handy for quick meals and to use in so many passed down recipes.

Some supermarket chains carry more of a selection than others.  ShopRite carried an extensive line when I lived in Connecticut. 

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Sorry to hear that Scotch Broth is discontinued. I was looking for it this week after not buying it for a few years. Coincidental thread. Loved that soup. Also Bean with Bacon.

Thick hearty soups.

I used to put a can of Beef Consomme in the refrigerator and eat the resulting jelly as a snack, useful when on a diet in my younger days. Also liked Cream of Asparagus and Chicken Gumbo but again, hadn't bought them in years.

Another soup I liked that's disappeared is Snow's Clam Chowder. It was the best of the canned clam chowders.

I'd stopped having canned soup when my daughter grew up and limiting my sodium intake until stocking up for the pandemic pantry.

Trusted Contributor

My favorites are the Vegetarian Vegetable, and Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup.  I'll buy packages of the "fine" egg noodles and add some to the Chicken Noodle soup.  I actually pick out the teensy tiny bits of "chicken" and give it to my dog.  They seem more bits of gristle than chicken meat.

I also remember Scotch Broth.  I didn't like it very much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not a fan of canned soups, I especially hate tomato.  I don't use cream of anything in cooking except for Campbell's Beefy Mushroom which is difficult to find.

It is more common in the southern states.  I have bought home many cans when I visited.  I think the airlines thought I was a nut with all those cans of soup.

Finally, Walmart now carries it in the northeast.  Sometimes they have it on the shelves, but it is often sold out. If I find it, I clear the shelves off.

42D1BF08-EBE5-41A4-B385-38A54DCA51B9.jpeg

Contributor

I remember Cream of Asparagus and Cream of Shrimp.  2 of my Campbell's favorites from the 70's that I haven't seen for decades are Noodles & Ground Beef, as well as, Chicken & Dumplings.  Those miniature dumplings ruined me for eating any homemade dumplings.  I've never found another dumpling to compare in texture.  Those 2 soups supplied a lot of summertime lunches for my sister and I while our parents were at work.  Even though we were young teenagers, those soups were quick and easy to heat on the stove.  

Thanks for bringing back those fond memories.  Smiley Happy

Gr8Auntie