Respected Contributor

delima trying to clean a sink

i know some of you are a whiz at cleaning solutions.  

we are putting in a new bathroom.  while dh was installing the porcelin sink, his titanium wedding band scratched the sink.  about a 2 inch scratch right in the front.  he says its metal transfer.  he tried comet to no avail.  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Respected Contributor

Re: delima trying to clean a sink

Bar Keepers Friend saved my white kitchen sink.  I was ready to replace it and this stuff got all the metal scratches off!  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

Bon Ami on a damp microfiber cloth.  I think BioClean would work too.  Best of luck with your sink!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Bio Cleaner paste works well for me.

Respected Contributor

I am a devotee of baking soda.  If that fails (which would surprise me), you could try a light hand with Magic Eraser.  

BTW, if  when you find your answer, I'd be interested to learn it. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG 

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

I agree with the baking soda and light rub with Magic Eraser.

If anyone gets frustrated with stains or  food sticking to a Le Creuset casserole, just fill with water and a heavy dose of baking soda.  Come back later, and the pot looks like new and shiny as ever.

Also use liberal amounts of baking soda to clean our shower floor tile.  Buy the soda in big bags at Costco, not those wimpy little boxes from the grocery store baking aisle.

Super Contributor

I agree with the other posters re  baking soda paste on a soft cloth and gently rub in a circular motion and rinse.  I use it to clean my Le Creuset pans and they look like new afterwards.  I realize you said your sink is porcelain and that it was scratched but I would try this method first.  It can't hurt.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@IamMrsG 

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

I agree with the baking soda and light rub with Magic Eraser.

If anyone gets frustrated with stains or  food sticking to a Le Creuset casserole, just fill with water and a heavy dose of baking soda.  Come back later, and the pot looks like new and shiny as ever.

Also use liberal amounts of baking soda to clean our shower floor tile.  Buy the soda in big bags at Costco, not those wimpy little boxes from the grocery store baking aisle.

@novamc1 Thanks for the tips!  I have problems with both and will try it out!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

so far i have tried the baking soda, and the eraser block. cleanser, all to no avail.  dh says muratic (sp) acid.  i'm going in with a loupe, to see if its actually transfer, or a gouge. wish me luck. goin' in

yup, it's transfer, can see the metalic from the ring in the scratch. acid next. grrr

Honored Contributor

Yikes! Just WATCH OUT if you're going to use a Mr. Clean eraser!! It's take the finish off! Yes It'll get rid of the mark but it will forever be a dull area. I learned the hard way when these erasers first came out. I was at my parents house and bragged about these wonder cleaners and I went up and down their hallway walls. Got all of the marks off but as I stood back to admire my handiwork OMG dull marks all down their hallway! My dad was not a happy camper that he had to then repaint their hallway walls! 

"Pure Michigan"