Respected Contributor

I've always wondered what happens to chickens, grown only for their egg-laying capacity, or for meat, when they are at the end of their usefullness. I'm sure they get killed in one way or other, but I wonder what methods are used.

I like chickens--my neighbors used to raise them and they were so sweet, just wandering around the yard, pecking at the ground and softly talking to each otherr. I know that chickens, like all of us, don't live forever and I hope that when they're euthanized, it's merciful and comfortable.

Anyone?

Honored Contributor

Re: commercially grown chickens

Believe me, it's very, very far from humane and to post the descriptions here would be way too disturbing for many, many posters here.

The Mods would probably delete it as such.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

You don't really want to know.

Honored Contributor

My mother is an expert.  It was her job as a child because she was the youngest.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

If you really want to know simply Goggle it, you can read about it or see the process done on YouTube. Be well @GoneButNotForgotten.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't want to know. I have never even cut up a whole chicken. Not doing that or I won't be able to eat it. Gross. I don't know how people could pull the chicken's head off, pluck it & eat it. I could never do that.

Honored Contributor

Or go to PETA.org and view their undercover videos to see what really happens behind the scenes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I don't want to know. I have never even cut up a whole chicken. Not doing that or I won't be able to eat it. Gross. I don't know how people could pull the chicken's head off, pluck it & eat it. I could never do that.

@Nightowlz 

Gee, no offense meant, but you could've left out the part about "pulling the chicken's head off", IMO only.

Respected Contributor

haven't eaten a commercially purchased chicken in 20 years. and don't even get me started on the Chernobyl sized breasts now. totally grosses me out.

Valued Contributor

We can always help by choosing to leave them off of our plate if their treatment bothers us.