Respected Contributor

Re: casserole crock pot at target

On 11/13/2014 Hooty said:

I saw where Crockpot had this out and thought, I would love to have one of those, I love doing casseroles too! My question is to those that have it .......... does it brown on top? That would be the only thing holding me back!

Hooty, I still have not used my crockpot yet, but I don't think this will brown at all when in use. It's just like any other crockpot in that way. However, it says on the side of my box that the cooking vessel is oven safe.....I don't know about broiler safe, but it is oven safe. You could take the 9x13 dish out of the crockpot and put in the oven for last minute browning. That's my story, anyway. ha!

Respected Contributor

I have seen these and decided against.

Seems it would be great for stuffing or any kind of casserole. Not so sure about stews or pot roast. I have a couple of larger, deeper crock pots for that anyway.

I can't see buying it just for stuffing.

Respected Contributor

On 11/15/2014 pupwhipped said:
On 11/13/2014 Hooty said:

I saw where Crockpot had this out and thought, I would love to have one of those, I love doing casseroles too! My question is to those that have it .......... does it brown on top? That would be the only thing holding me back!

Hooty, I still have not used my crockpot yet, but I don't think this will brown at all when in use. It's just like any other crockpot in that way. However, it says on the side of my box that the cooking vessel is oven safe.....I don't know about broiler safe, but it is oven safe. You could take the 9x13 dish out of the crockpot and put in the oven for last minute browning. That's my story, anyway. ha!

You are correct. I just checked out the Crock Pot site for this info and it is not broiler safe, but it says you can put the stoneware into a conventional oven & bake as usual if you wish, then just insert it into the carrier on "warm" if you're transporting it somewhere.

I can see where it would be useful for casseroles (breakfast, cheesy potatoes, lasagna) and desserts. I've been reading reviews on the Crock Pot site and Amazon (and checking my cupboards to see where to store it! LOL) Here in FL, you try to avoid using the oven in the summer...

Shame on you, Starlight, for telling me about this! {#emotions_dlg.devil2} Wink {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Denise
Respected Contributor

I avoid using my oven here in NC during summer. Well honestly I try to not cook a lot period. I'm not so great at it.so crockpots and I get along well. This would be something I would consider.