Honored Contributor

Re: bread sticks never turn out in log shape

[ Edited ]

After mixing 1 1/2 cups warm water, 1 tbsp instant yeast, 2 tbsps sugar, 1 tsp salt, and 1 cup flour with dough hook on mixer, I mix in more flour until the dough just clears the sides of the bowl (3-4 cups).  I knead the dough until it's soft and a little sticky.  I let the dough rise in the bowl for 10 minutes.

Spread 3 tbsps melted butter on a baking sheet.  I spray my countertop with PAM and pat the dough into a long rectangle.  I cut the dough into strips with a pizza wheel, twist into spirals, and bake on buttered sheet at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

you got picture ?    @deepwaterdotter 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

you got picture ?    @deepwaterdotter 

No, I seldom take photos of my cooking.  Sorry.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

don't think the trouble is in the recipe, itself, but, in the shaping or the yeast I'm using is to powerful I use that SAF red bag premium stuff and it raises really fast. This recipe I"m using takes 2 envelopes and I notice the other recipe just call for 2 1/4 teaspoons I've been using double that for this recipe that calls for 2 envelopes I doubled it to 4-5 teaspoons.

@SharkE Sometimes when you double a bread recipe you use a little less than double the yeast.

Some other thoughts: temp in house is high causing the dough to rise too quickly.  Dough has a little too much moisture. 

Maybe you are getting the sticks a little out of shape because your dominant hand is doing things a little differently when you shape them.  

Also, maybe mix the yeast in well with the flour, and hydrate it quickly so the moisture is evenly distributed.

We discovered that our Zojirushi bread machine (the big one) makes more evenly shaped loaves when we premix the ingredients in bags and pour it all in (except the liquid) rather than layering it in as instructions say.  SO, we ASSUME that mixing the yeast in the flour works better than putting it in in a well. And we use the same yeast you use.

Honored Contributor

I'm gonna work on it till I conquer it LOL

Put up a pic of my failure after while I'm busier then a one armed paper hanger right now !

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkEI've had similar problems with King A. What usually works for me, is just to hit the enter key.

edited to add:  Just went to King A. At the Baker's Hotline, you can either chat with a person or email them. I did a test email and had no problems. The # is: (855) 371-2253.

Honored Contributor

A bit more flour or less water could help solve the problem. Wetter doughs tend to spread more than stiffer doughs. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to shape/handle high hydration doughs, but despite following the directions and the dough looking and acting like the doughs in the video, mine still go flatter than I like in the oven. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!