Regular Contributor

Re: ? big bag of salad lettuce

I have wrapped DRY heads of iceberg lettuce tightly in aluminum foil. It holds them for a couple of weeks.
I wash them once I use them.
Honored Contributor

I also liked the convenience of buying bagged lettuce. But after throwing away more than I ate, I switched to buying the entire head of lettuce. I now routinely buy the 6 heads of Romaine lettuce from Sam's. It lasted a long time and I don't end up throwing away any of the lettuce.

So far I have never had to deal with a recall. In fact the last two years I worked, I made a salad for lunch everyday. Sam's has such a nice selection of items to put in the salad. So I never got tired of eating salads for lunch everyday.

Will also try and get back into the routine of eating salads but tough because being retired my husband doesn't share the same eating habits.

Respected Contributor

I but whole romaine heads, trim bottoms, slice stalks in bite size pieces, spin dry and then take a handful and enclose it in a microfiber towel and shake it to remove more moisture.  Store covered in fridge.  Lasts the week and remains crispy.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I do not buy Romaine now because of so many recalls.  I can't afford to be sick if I don't have to.

Valued Contributor

I use my XO salad spinner after I have washed my lettuce and soak for 10 min. In

Vinegar water I only do about 2 days worth of salad. It seems to get very crisp that way.