Respected Contributor

we are going to try and eat more salads, in the new year. I buy big bags, at sam's and they seem to go bad fast. Does anyone have good luck prolonging the "life" of bagged salads? thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: ? big bag of salad lettuce

@10sluvr wrote:

we are going to try and eat more salads, in the new year. I buy big bags, at sam's and they seem to go bad fast. Does anyone have good luck prolonging the "life" of bagged salads? thanks.

@10sluvr , I use bagged lettuce all the time and I've found folded up paper towels on the bag absorb the water and keep it crisper longer.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Pre-washed and bagged lettuce contains lots of water -  - can result in mold mildew. (rot)

Remove salad from store bag - fluff the contents in sink - or use a salad s[inner to remove water.  Put lettuce, etc. in a different bag and don't crowd the salad.  ZipLock 2 bags if needed.

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr @Many bagged salad packers use nitrogen gas to prolong the life of the greens. Once open, the pure nitrogen escapes and spoilage can begin. 

Honored Contributor

I find most of the bagged greens are already old and brown at the time of purchase.

Respected Contributor

After having many bagged salads not last long and turn quickly causing potential bacteria, I've decided to buy either a head of lettuce or the 3 types of lettuce heads in one container, often found in Aldi's.  Yes, bagged salads are easier to use; just rip open the bag, but once you get used to using the 'head' lettuces again, you'll find they last much longer and, if needed, any bad part can be 'cut away' from the good and still be used safely.  Pick up a bottle or two of your favorite dressing, a bag of recloseable croutons and any other toppings and you're good to go.  A little more trouble than ripping open a bag, but worth the effort in the long run.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

I use head lettuce too, and stick to the kinds that haven't been in so many recalls over the years.  I avoid all bagged salads now for a number of reasons.

In order to eat healthier we are using greens that are cooked--steamed, sauteed, boiled and are very flavorful.  Also, we try to eat a lot of different colors of fruits and veggies.  

Esteemed Contributor

@10sluvr - I also love the convenience of bagged lettuces and salads, but I have to agree with several other posters that you'll get more for your money if you buy heads of lettuce and chop them yourself. Invest a few dollars in a plastic serrated lettuce knife (it really does help to prevent browning of the lettuce edges) and spend the 15 minutes or so to wash, chop, and dry the lettuce when you bring it home. This will give you the freshest chopped lettuce you can get, and you'll still have the convenience of being able to just pour it from the bag into your salad bowl whenever you're ready. Good luck!

Valued Contributor

I do not like the baggeed lettuce.  I usually purchase Romaine, wash, spin dry, then I wrap the leaves in paper towls rolls up and place in a zip loc bag. It will easily last a couple of weeks, although we usually go through it quicker.  It is quick and easy to pull out the leaves, tear up and make a salad.  I also do with red and green leaf if I know I will eat in a day or two.

Honored Contributor

Not sure I would be buying any bagged greens---seems like a lot of recalls---but I have NO luck with prolonging those things anyway---no matter what I do--I buy whole heads of lettuce now. I wash as need and then put them in those green bags---keeps a long time, I think,. I do use paper towels to wrap them in first. and try to buy small-ish heads too----would rather spend more and eat it all then to have to throw most of it away.