Honored Contributor

wonder what would cause an apple pie crust to be real high. Big air pocket between the crust and the apple filling? Weird ! It's like I need to push down on the top crust to make it meet the filling. LOL

didn't put liner underneath the pie and it bubbled over and smoked up the house. Later on I used easy off to clean up that mess and didn't wear gloves. Now, my finger tips are sore and red and burning like fire. Guess that stuff has lye in it or something. LOL feel like needles are sticking in my finger tips from where I was scrubbing with Easy Off and a Scotch brite. Ow!

Trusted Contributor

It could have been te apples or the thickener used in the filling which resulted in a watery filling. This caused the crust to set (before the filling cooked), and as the apples cooked, they released liquid which leaked from the pie as the apples collapsed. What type of apples did you use?

Honored Contributor

Braeburns. 3 tb. of flour, when it said 'dot with butter' I put bunch of dots on the filling.

Used 7 apples, looked like a lot at the time, but, after the crust never met them guess I should had put lot more in it. Never could handle pie crust. got this great recipe from a gal who makes the best pies using butter Crisco, but, not my calling I guess. LOL

Valued Contributor
I'm sure this is a silly question, but did you cut a vent in the top crust to let the steam out?
Honored Contributor

I am not much of a baker but did you cut vents slits in the top piecrust?

Honored Contributor

yeah, about 5 of them. pie crust is hard and tough LOL I can do bread, rolls, fried chicken, fudge, all that jazz, but , pie crust is my water loo. Just can't cut the mustard on double crust homemade stuff. Best stick with pumpkin and pecan using Pillsbury crust I guess.

Honored Contributor

Now I want a piece of apple pie! Waaaaaah!

I hate when the oven smokes up the house. Makes me want to just move out instead of cleaning up the oven. Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

I ordered a Chicken Pot Pie once that came in a stemmed dish with a huge domed browned crust. Always wanted to duplicate it. Sounds like you just did! Wish I knew the secret.

Honored Contributor
This has happened to me a time or two. Your apples were too juicy. They shrunk when baked, and collapsed leaving the crust up in the air. The juice bubbled out between the bottom and top crusts and made a mess. I like to use Granny Smith mixed with Honey Crisp apples in my pies. I brush water on the rim of the bottom crust before I place my top crust and this seals it together. I use apples, sugar, cinnamon and dot with butter....no flour or thickener. Try again with less juicy apples.
Honored Contributor

That sounds logical and probably what happened I put lemon juice on the apples with the butter.

husband said "you can't make pies why stand there and peel, buy Mrs. Smith and quit working yourself to death". LOL a gal that went to our church up in Ind. (in tx. now) she could make pies that would make you cry. I got her crust recipe, but, I couldn't do it justice.

LOL oh well, win a few , lose a few.