Trusted Contributor

anyone remember (like pampered chef)???

anyone remember a company back in the 80s that sold kitchen gadgets/products at home parties/catalogs...it was similar to  pampered chef but that isn't the one i'm thinking of...if anybody knows please let me knowSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: anyone remember (like pampered chef)???

princess house was big during the 80s and 90s......but i think that was more crystal than kitchen (although i still have some casseroles and mugs from the company.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just another guess....Tastefully Simple??? Not so much kitchen gadgets but their products such as baking mixes, seasonings, sauces are really good.

They are still very much in business, too.

Trusted Contributor

Tupperware?

Honored Contributor

Something "dutch" but I think that was clothing.  My mother used to have those parties.

As for cooking/kitchen I can't recall.  But, I sure went to many Pampered Chef, Home Interiors, At Home America, Princess House, Tupperware and the list goes on.  Still have lots of the nice things I bought 30 years ago and they still work!!

Honored Contributor

I remember--still have a few pieces--my fave is that wire whisk thing that has the coil of wire on the end of it---use that thing all the time--and have the retangle pizza stone---it is now a brownish black from using it for years---has that seasoned patina so NOTHING sticks to it. have a loaf pan and a round baking dish--got rid of the baking bowl recently

Honored Contributor

I used to dread being invited to those parties.

Overpriced and if I didn't feel guilty about not buying something I felt like they would be talking about me behind my back!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I used to dread being invited to those parties.

Overpriced and if I didn't feel guilty about not buying something I felt like they would be talking about me behind my back!

LOL i used to love them....it was a great excuse to get together with friends, have some drinks, and have some snacks......and hire a babysitter or as grandma to babysit! Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I miss all those home based parties, mostly for the social aspect of it all. It seems it has been decades that this pandemic has kept us from gathering  to begin with, and the sales parties all but died out in my area/life in the 1990's. 

It was fun to get together with friends/family. Many of the lines I found exciting to see and buy. I was a young adult, loved homemaking and adding nice things to my home. 

I will say, that it did get daunting to afford going to them for me in the early years, as everything was high priced, and my funds very limited. I was ok to buy something as long as it was a brand or category I wanted. But I hated getting invited to makeup parties and jewelry parties. I never was into either, and didn't want to spend money on those things. It was always a 'thing' though to support other's parties if they had supported yours. 

Another one of those things that seems to have disappeared into the past, that I kind of miss. 

Honored Contributor

The sad thing was I was never into makeup or jewelry back when these parties were popular.  It always bugged me that Mary Kay charged extra for the eyeshadow case, they just sold the shadows loose.  I would buy just the minimum and leave as soon as gracefully possible.