Respected Contributor

How much of a pain is it to dig around for stuff in the freezer?  I'm thinking of getting a new fridge and I've only had side by sides for many years.  We're looking at LG's.

Honored Contributor

Re: ? about french door fridge

@Tyak We have an LG French door fridge (after having a side by side). I think it's much easier to find things in the French door freezer. It's deep enough to store a lot in there but because the freezer drawer completely pulls out, I can easily see everything in there.  

Honored Contributor

I love my French door fridge.  I have a drawer that opens on the bottom that's a freezer.  There is a sliding shelf in there too.  And there are compartments in the freezer or not.  It is customizable . It's no much easier to get used to a French door fridge opposed to a side by side.  I have a Samsung.

there is more room for everything, especially bigger items.

Frequent Contributor

I recently bought an LG French door fridge with the freezer on the bottom.  I love this refrigerator!  It has three drawers in the refrigerator and two drawers in the freezer. I've had a smaller side by side for years and now I can actually put a frozen pizza in the freezer!  Food in the freezer is easily accessible, probably due to the two drawers.  I got mine at best Big got it at Best Buy on sale.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you all like yours because I've sort of got my heart set on one of them, just so tired of a side by side.  Present one is also counter depth which  was another mistake.  But, I think you've all talked me into a new french door!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I recently bought a French door LG with a drawer in the middle that has separators.  I love it and is so much easier to use than my side by side where I was always digging in the back to retrieve my veggies.  The freezer bottom is separated with a slider on the top...so convenient.  

Honored Contributor

I have a French door refrigerator out in my garage and I have to say that I HATE the freezer part.    It's a real pain finding stuff because it's like a chest freezer - one compartment where everything just gets piled in.  It also has a little pull-out on the top part (you have to open the outer door to access that), but it's very shallow, so it's limited.  The rest is just a chest.

If my main refrigerator ever dies I'm going to stick with the old-timey 'freezer on top separate door' type.  For me, it just seems like more room in both the freezer and refrigerator than a French door or a side by side.  Furthermore, the freezer has shelves and  two-tier inside the door space.

Respected Contributor

We also have an LG French door refrigerator.  Ours has one drawer in the fridge and two freezer drawers.  I find that having two freezer drawers is better than one large one.  Each is probably a foot deep (too lazy to measure), so that food doesn't get lost.  Easy access and easy to clean.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I also have an LG French door fridge and it has a sliding shelf that helps to make things easier to find.  I also use freezer bins for additional organization. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I also have a french door fridge.  It's okay.  It's eleven years old.  Hopefully it will last a good long time.  When it dies, I'll get a regular fridge with the freezer on the top.  The only trouble I've had with it, is the freezer handle fell off.  If the freezer is loaded, it strains the handle.  I don't find the freezer easy to clean.  I have to bend down really low or sit on the floor to get my hand behind the drawer.