Valued Contributor

Re: ? about french door fridge

I have owned two one was a GE and it was small but had to fit in a space. The drawers on top cracked also but person I sold too loved it! I have a kenmore elite currently and is about 12 years old ( used seasonly)  I love this one but my only complaint with any is that there is only one shelf that will hold tall bottles. No matter how I try to adjust. I hope that I will always be able to have one, my choice of style. I have had no problem with the freezer section. Now the freezer on a side by side that's a problem. 

Respected Contributor

I love mine.  We got it when we built our house 12 years ago.  I enjoy the freezer being on the bottom...no hassle at all.

Respected Contributor

We have a french door fridge with freezer drawer.  We absolutely love it!  I think it is easier to find things in the freezer drawer and the refrigerator as well.  I do try to keep the refrigerator and freezer organized.  I usually tidy it up once a week.  Not a problem.   

Honored Contributor

We have a brand new one and I despise it.  I am 5' 3" and it is hard for me to reach things on the top and in the back.  The ice maker in the top takes up WAY too much space and there is little space for milk or taller things.  I just HATE it.  I would take my side by side back in a heartbeat.

BUT we do have a small freezer in the garage, so that isn't a big deal.   We just don't have enough fridge room in this one and that is what we use most.  We do'nt have a lot of frozen food.  It is a big fridge too--not a counter height, but still doesn't hold enough of what we buy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also have the LG and love it!  I have the one with the door in the door for frequently used items and the drawer between the top and freezer on the bottom. I'm obsessed with my fridge 😄

Oh and mine has two slide out drawers in the freezer. Super convenient. 

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

How much of a pain is it to dig around for stuff in the freezer?  I'm thinking of getting a new fridge and I've only had side by sides for many years.  We're looking at LG's.

I had a side by side once, never again.

The space is awkward.

I have a traditional refrigerator now --freezer on top, glass shelves in the refrigerator.

Adequate, nothing special.

But I do have a chest freezer.   In the basement.

You have to be a bit more organized with  a chest type freezer, if that's what you are asking.   If you decide to buy, ask about accessories for it.   You can buy little bins that organize your different items as well as dividers.    Bags of vegetables, for example.   Stuff in boxes will stack nicely but the bags are a pain unless you have a square or rectangle bin for them.  If you have organized your items in bin, then when looking for something, you don't have to handle everything.   You just go to the right bin for your item.

Respected Contributor

I love mine.   I think the bottom drawer is 10x better than a side by side. Ours is an Amana.   My friend has one that has 2 separate drawers at the bottom.  Maybe a Maytag, I forget.

I don't find them hard to organize at all, there's dividers so it can be pretty simple.   And I'm short so I have those small fold up stools everywhere.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

We had a french door refrig and hated it. Got rid of it. Would lose things over the back of the freezer basket and have to try and retrieve while standing on my head. The light switch kept freezing up, as every time the freezer was opened warm air would rush in. Then, close the freezer door and that moist warm air would freeze up the switch. I think the design is flawed, personally. Had too many service calls on the things for freezer issues. Went back to a side-by-side and haven't had any trouble.

Honored Contributor

We recently switched from a low-profile side by side to a low-profile Samsung French door with bottom freezer.

One thing that sold us on our particular model was that they somehow integrated the ice maker into the door so that it doesn't take any real estate away from the the appliance. Very cool. :-)

I am still getting used to the bottom freezer, but I find the whole design yields us so much more room in both the fridge and the freezer. And the width and depth of the freezer makes storage much easier.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My mom has one, I have zero desire to own one. The ice location is a PITA IMO and I don't like the freezer drawer. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval