Respected Contributor

a question about omelettes

[ Edited ]

i love reading restaurant reviews. this morning, i was reading one, and the reviewer was from n. carolina.  

this is the question, when ordering a omelets out, do you expect the ingredient's to be mixed into the eggs and all cooked at once, or that the ingredient's be placed in between the folded omelet?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: a question about omelettes

in between......................

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought about what I had ordered out recently and the place we frequent puts the ingredients into the folded omelette after cooking.  As for me, I incorporate ingredients into the eggs after I dump them into the pan.  Mainly onions, green peppers and mushrooms.  All pre-sauteed.  Edit:  Actually I said that backwards.  I pour the beaten eggs into the pan in which I have already sauteed my ingredients. 

Respected Contributor

In between for me also.

Honored Contributor

I used to make omelets all the time and always put things in between.

It seems a frittata (which I'd never heard of til a few years ago) is more like ingredients mixed into the eggs?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I expect fillings to be In between the folds.

Trusted Contributor

I add the eggs to the sauteed veggies and mix them together.  I thought that was an omelette until much more recently.  About ten years ago, my now 91 year old mother told me that she had no idea what an omelette was, so she made me a fritatta when I was a little girl and just told me I was eating an omelette. LOL. 

Honored Contributor

I expect the ingredients be cooked together. 

Valued Contributor

In between.  In fact now I ask how a restaurant prepares omelettes when I order and specifically request that they be prepared that way.

Honored Contributor

I prefer the meat, peppers and onions to be cooked with the eggs.  

Our local Bob Evans used to make their omelets this way, but changed several years ago, making the eggs first and adding the filling right before flipping the top over.   That’s when I stopped ordering omelets there.   Our IHOP makes them the same way, so no omelets from there either.