Honored Contributor

Yum! Your Favorite Type Of Green Beans?

[ Edited ]

I had quite a lot of green beans growing up on an Appalachian mountain farm.

The big pot of the small beans with liquid and ham were dreaded by me in every way.

As far as "green beans",I loved the green part, hated the little beans (fresh or any dried beans) and to this day love "pole beans" which don't give a lot of beans!

Today, I look for "pole beans" but our largest grocery is getting small green beans from a local farmer which is wonderful, yet, not the flavor of what I love!

Honored Contributor

Re: Yum! Your Favorite Type Of Green Beans?

I never met a bean I didn't like.

I just got some fresh geeen beans from the market.  I plan to steam  them slightly and dress them with oil and vinegar and chopped onions.    Simple and delicious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyday/common green beans are in my grocery cart every time I go for produce. Today , the supermarket I shopped at had French green beans on sale so I took them. Thin and tender, I find they don't need to be "tipped". I usually pan sauté with bacon grease or roast them in the oven with a little EVOO, S&P.  Sometimes I'll sprinkle on a little chopped fresh garlic and bacon crumbles. 

Honored Contributor

I like to french cut them with small gadget I have.  Put in a skillet with melted butter, salt and pepper to heat.   

Esteemed Contributor

I love Italian green beans, sometimes called Roma or Romano green beans.   

Can't stand regular green beans.

Must be more than one meaning for your "pole beans".

To me a pole bean is any bean that twines upward several feet around a vertical support as it grows, vs a bush bean which has a short bushy compact habit.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge Right there with you on the Italian green beans. They are so good. They taste a great deal like pinto beans that are picked and cooked before the bean forms. I have never seen the fresh ones for sale in a market, but we grew them and canned them back in my childhood on the farm. They are flat and look just like Italian green beans. Unfortunately a lot of other people have discovered Italian green beans where I am currently staying and we are having difficulty finding them in the grocery store.

Honored Contributor

Kentucky Wonders with some ham or a ham hock, cooked until they are soft and the juice is wonderful--served with good cornbread and freshly sliced tomatoes, and corn on the cob. 

Esteemed Contributor

My southern grandmother would cook "healthy" stick to your ribs cuisine for her "sadity city" grandchildren.😄 When I would vacation in the summer, she would make the BEST string green beans and potatoes; heavy on the pepper; slowly cooked with ham, or bacon. All "bellies" were full when they left the table.😁 It was DELICIOUS! I no longer eat meat, but I cherish that memory.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@SandySparkles My grandmother did the same style of cooking. She would fry two pieces of bacon in the bottom of the saucepan, add the green beans covered with water, and put a half an onion on top for flavor. She removed the onion and bacon before serving. Good eats!

Esteemed Contributor

@On It ...It is SOOO nice to have such wonderful memories!😊👍

~~~All we need is LOVE💖