Honored Contributor

Re: Yum! Your Favorite Type Of Green Beans?

@x Hedge 

I am SO glad you found them!

They showed up at our grocery only once this summer, and I just didn't have the time to string and cook!!!!!Smiley Sad

Enjoy!  I'm envious!

Regular Contributor

My favorite are half runners cooked with salt pork and new potatoes. My Mom made the best ever.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG , this particular variety is tender and stringless. It's not what's generally labeled as "Italian green bean" seed now.

This dried bean is pale tan with a white eye, no speckles.  I recognized it as soon as I saw their pix of the dried bean.

I searched for this older variety for years, then gave up. Thanks again, your posts gave me that little "push" to look again.

Couldn't leave these boards without thanking you.

☺

Honored Contributor

I just like green beans--not familiar with the different types but I do love them cooked in the pressure cooker------

Respected Contributor

I grew up eating Kentucky Wonder green beans and loved them.

Haven't seen them in decades and really haven't bought any fresh green beans in years that had any taste to them. I don't like frozen because they turn out mushy and watery.  I've given up on them and they were my favorite green veg.

Trusted Contributor

I think it was Bird's Eye that once sold containers of frozen yellow-purple-green combo beans. I think the yellow and purple beans are referred to as wax beans and purple hull beans.  They were not only tasty but made for a colorful presentation.  Like some products at Aldi's and Trader Joe's, Bird's Eye followed suit in discontinuing them. 😣 Apparently, farmers must have stopped growing them as well because I've not seen them in any of the produce departments or frozen food sections at any of the grocery stores in my area.  A Google search for them revealed people nationally across the U.S. commiserating their disappearance.