Esteemed Contributor

I ask this like I haven't cooked for 50 yrs.  I am taking baked beans to a cookout tomorrow. It's a 2 hr. trip there and I don't want to get up with the chickens to get them in the oven. There is bacon in them.  I dice and cook the bacon til just beginning to crisp up and add to the beans and other stuff and then bake.  

Can I put them together tonite including the bacon and just throw them in the oven in the morning?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your opinion on baked beans

Can you crockpot on low overnight?  I don’t see why if you cook the bacon you could store in fridge overnight though. Enjoy your picnic. 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Honored Contributor

That sounds like a good plan.  Just be sure that if the beans are cold, to cool off the bacon before you add it to the bean mixture.

I always make my beans the night before and refrigerate them overnight, then put them in the oven or crock pot the day of whatever day I want to serve them.

Respected Contributor

I would think that you could assemble your baked beans ahead of time and cook in the a.m. I generally prepare my recipe and then cook in a crockpot or oven the day of my event with success.   Do not stress but have a good ole time!

Respected Contributor

I just made baked beans, but we're having the cookout tomorrow.

I will put them covered in the fridge overnight.  Tomorrow morning I will put in the crockpot and the beans will cook until we eat.  (Not eating outside).

If you're traveling for 2 hours though, I would keep them on ice in a cooler for transport.  Warm them up before serving.

Happy 4th!!

Honored Contributor

You should be able to cook, refrigate and reheat after maintaing the cold.  The tomato in the sauce will help retard bacteria growth.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG   These are not tomatoe based.  My aunt gave me the recipe 35 yrs. ago.  Great Northern beans,  brown sugar (I use dark brown), onion and bacon. 

My sister-in-law who is very picky and thinks she the only good cook in the family uses this recipe.

I took the largest Rachel Ray baker I have filled with them to a party and there was not one bean in it when I brought it home.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the plan you outlined in your post should be fine @CrazyKittyLvr2  Don't fret and enjoy yourself this 4th.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I ask this like I haven't cooked for 50 yrs.  I am taking baked beans to a cookout tomorrow. It's a 2 hr. trip there and I don't want to get up with the chickens to get them in the oven. There is bacon in them.  I dice and cook the bacon til just beginning to crisp up and add to the beans and other stuff and then bake.  

Can I put them together tonite including the bacon and just throw them in the oven in the morning?

Sure. Anything I can do the day before to save time. Absolutely.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I do this all the time!  As long as the bacon is cooked, no problems.  As a matter of fact, I think they taste better because all the ingredients hang out in the refrigerator overnight.  There is never a bean left! 

I bake them in the morning and then put them in the crockpot when finished baking.  My crockpot has a lid that locks.  I put the crockpot in a thermal food carrier then plug them on warm only when I arrive at my destination.  It's a real time saver.