Respected Contributor

Do you leave the peel on or peel your potatoes?

Which potato do you use?

I leave the peel on. I tell people it's because it tastes better and is more nutritious (which is true) but the untold story is that I'm too lazy to peel and I make a big mess when I do. It looks cool in mashed potatoes also.

I use red potatoes. Alton Brown said the best mashing ones are the Idaho (russett).  I strongly disagree as Idahos are grainy and gritty. I always get creamy mashed potatoes not to metion delicious using reds. 

How do you make your potatoes, and which do you use?

Honored Contributor

I dont peel any potatoes or anything else these days.  Arthritis has taken a toll on my fingers and hands.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont peel any potatoes or anything else these days.  Arthritis has taken a toll on my fingers and hands.

Oh I'm sorry! My mom is getting arthritis too and she says everyday tasks bother her now. 

Honored Contributor

Peeled red potatoes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Peeled red potatoes.

Red's the best!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I  use  red potatoes and leave the peel on...I add Greek yogurt, along with a little skim milk and butter...season with pepper...and they come out delicious...I find that the Greek yogurt makes the potatoes more creamier and adds a nice flavor, as well as the added benefit of being healthier.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Respected Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

I  use  red potatoes and leave the peel on...I add Greek yogurt, along with a little skim milk and butter...season with pepper...and they come out delicious...I find that the Greek yogurt makes the potatoes more creamier and adds a nice flavor, as well as the added benefit of being healthier.

I add sour cream but I might try Greek yogurt instead

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

i know exactly how you feel......it's just awful.....

Respected Contributor

I use instant - Idahoan.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Your mashed potatoes

[ Edited ]

I use red potatoes (peeled) and I rice them.  No lumps that way.  I found a Foley food mill yesterday at a charity store and bought it to have a back-up. 

I heat my milk and melt the butter in the milk.  I never understood adding cold milk to hot potatoes.