Esteemed Contributor

Your Mom Preparing Thanksgiving Meal, what........

memories come to mind.  Mom made it look effortless.  The kichen itself wasn't small, but the actual amount of work space was tiny.  She cranked out a lot of food in the little area,

I remember the turkey was always huge.  Well over 20+ lbs. I can see her standing at the sink with the turkey going over it with tweezers (pin feathers) only used for cleaning poultry.  Keep in mind this was 60 yrs. ago and it was a fresh turkey.  That woman went over a turkey  like  a CSI looking for evidence.

One year my Dad was at the kitchen table watching Mom all but sterilize our poor next day's dinner.  After a half hour suddenly all we heard was, "for God's sake Sarah your taking all the flavor out,"  

My sister and I still laugh about watching Mom clean  a turkey.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Your Mom Preparing Thanksgiving Meal, what........

Not mom but grandma.

Turkey and dressing cooking in the Nesco in the basement of her city bungalow.

Running up and down the basement stairs.

Gravy in fancy gravy boat with fancy dishes and cloth napkins and tablecloth, lovingly ironed.

Esteemed Contributor

The family all packed into small houses, cousins running around. Stealing a cookie. Now everyone is gone. Holidays can be hard for some, my memories are all I have. Sorry depressing here. But as they say those were the days. Enjoy your holidays all. 🦃🎅🎁❤️❤️

Valued Contributor

Retired Legal Secretary THAT is Hilarious!

Still smiling hereSmiley Very Happy

And, the Others are touching my heart.  We have mostly

just memories now too, of such great times!Heart

Honored Contributor

my mom STILL makes quite a bit of our thanksgiving dinner, especially the turkey, the dressing, and the pork/sauerkraut....... she will be 79 this month! i am right there beside her doing most of the other sides. i am truly lucky and truly blessed that i have seen her do this for so many years......and she has barely changed a thing! she is even in the same home for 50 years. Heart

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My mother never made turkey for Thanksgiving.  Instead we went to our aunt & uncle's house.  Today she's 93 and lives in over 55 community down in Fl.  Her aide will make her and a friend a small turkey dinner.

Honored Contributor

Mom didn't make Thanksgiving, we always went to grandma's , then to my aunts. We always did Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Whe I got older , I made the pumpkin pies.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

My Mother was a teacher and not much of a cook!  I follow in her footsteps and until I married at 40, ate out a lot!  I never cooked a turkey until I was 39 and my fiance and I decided to cook a bird.  Had a cook book but no internet in 1983 so we had some questions.  Fortunately, I had a British couple renting from me and although Christine literally couldn't boil water she could roast a turkey.  We were saved that Thanksgiving and still laugh about it today!

Honored Contributor

I doubt if my Mother ever cooked a turkey in her life, my Grandma was the cook in our huge family and prepared the feasts for all holidays. Of course we all helped in some way, but she did all the big stuff. 

Trusted Contributor

My mother always prepared a traditional Thanksgiving meal that was delicious...but it was the farthest thing from looking effortless.  It was a huge and dreaded production that was repeated (with varied foods) at each usual holiday.  It was exhausting from the moment she started her lists (which started for the next holiday as soon as the current holiday  meal was finished).  I never wanted to do this and so far I have successfully avoided the entire process.  I am the "dishwasher" - not the cook - for holiday meals.  I am very happy just being a guest!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.