Honored Contributor

I SO feel like a roast. 

I got a rump roast and am using a crock pot.

Mushroom Roast

Rump  or Sirloin Tip (I do 5 lbs)

2 Cans mushroom soup

1 Pkg Lipton Dry Onion Soup packets

2 tsp. Thyme

2 Tbsp. parsley

2 Tbsp. Steak sauce

2 Tbsp. Worchestchire sauce

Cut off fat and place roast in deep casserole.

Mix all remaining ingredients and pour over.

Cover as tightly as possible.

Bake at 325 degrees 3 hrs.

You may need to thicken the gravy if the roast has a lot of juices.

Honored Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Roast Recipe?

I do roasts in the oven, often in a Le Creuset pot.

Sometimes I line the pot (don't want a pot a lot bigger than the roast) with foil, add quartered onions, celery, peeled carrots and garlic cloves, about 1/2 cup of water, tomato juice or beef  stock, the roast, lots of salt, fresh ground pepper and a little garlic salt on top (maybe a pat or two of butter) and cook at 325-350 degrees until it's done.

First with lid on, last 20 to30 minutes with lid off if it isn't browned yet. 

Respected Contributor

We love Cooking Light's Classic Beef Pot Roast. You can Google it; or look on the myrecipes.com website.

It's delicious. Sometimes I omit the potatoes and serve it over

egg noodles.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Grass Fed Pot Roast

5 servings

Ingredients

• 2.5-3 pound beef roast (grass-fed )
  • 2 1/2 tsp. salt 
  • 1/4 cup bacon grease other cooking fat 
  • 3 cups beef bone broth 
  • 2 tsp. turmeric
  • 4 cloves garlic - rough choped
  • 2 medium onions - sliced
  • 1tbsp. rosemary fresh - or 1 tsp. dried
  • 3 carrots cut in 1 inch chunks 
  • 2 ribs celery cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 2 tbsp. cold water

Recipe Notes

Grassfed beef is not required.  It's just what I try to use when I am able. The slow cooking renders a very tender and flavorful result.  

Rinse the roast and pat dry.  Salt the entire roast. On stovetop over medium-high, heat 1/4 cup fat in Dutch oven or large pot with a lid, that's suitable to the size of the roast.  I usually use a 3 quart enamel over cast iron Pioneer Woman pot.  Brown the roast on all sides.  After the meat is browned, remove it from the pan and set aside on a platter.

There should be 2-3 tablespoons of fat in the pan after browning the meat.   Add the turmeric and broth to the pan with the drippings.  Bring to a simmer.  Use a whisk to remove any bits of meat from the bottom of the pan.  Stir the xanthan gum in the cold water and add the mixture to the pot.  Keep whisking as it thickens.  Remove from heat and add the meat back to the pot.

Sprinkle the sliced onions, garlic, and rosemary on top of and around the roast.  Cover tightly and bake 300 degrees for 2 hours. After 2 hours, take the roast out of the oven.

Wash and cut the carrots into 1-inch pieces.  Arrange them around the roast.  Put the lid back on and return into the oven.

Bake 1 more hour and enjoy!

***Since we don't eat potatoes, I did not include them in the recipe.  You may include them if you prefer.  Instead of potatoes, I will sometimes add washed and trimmed whole radishes as a potato alternative.  Other times, I'll leave them out and serve the roast with mashed cauliflower.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG 

That's funny because today I had the exact same craving!!!

So I have chuck roast on my shopping list for next trip to the store.

I just roasted an Oven Stuffer Roaster, and am finishing that chicken. September is "Eat out of my freezer" month because it's a horrible "bill" month...estimated income tax, quarterly Medicare premiums ( not taking SS til 70 but have to pay for Medicare until then out of pocket), home insurance premium, and my zero turn riding mower is in the shop and  I bet that bill will be dear.....)

So..Today I made chicken salad out of the white breast meat from the chicken....I like to add green grapes, but I had a few last of the season homegrown cukes, so I cut up two little ones and added them to the chicken salad instead of grapes!!! ( I'd go to the store to get grapes, but I'd end up spending too much on stuff I don't need!!)

But....there's no chuck roast in my freezer so I give myself permission to buy one if I go shopping soon!!! ( Even though Im working thru what I have!!!).

I have no will power.

This year I will NOT buy any whole turkeys even if they're ten cents a pound!!! (Can't resist a deal!!)

I have one from LAST year in my freezer.....!!! And the whole chicken I just cooked is from last December 2021!!!...

But it was original packaging and frozen rock solid so was OK. 

And...I'm still working thru my relatively small pantry of "Covid Panic Food"...which when I look at what's there it doesn't seem like much, but it's taking FOR-EVV-ER to choke it down...mostly because I don't eat canned stuff that often, but bought it as "just in case" food at the height of the pandemic.!!!! I bet lots of folks are in the same boat!!!

O well. WInter's coming. I live in Western PA near Lake Erie, and when I see those terrible fires in the west, the lakes drying up, the ridiculous high temps, I think..."When will it be our turn?" 

Already very dry here.I think how it would be if the Allegheny National Forest that is my yard burned like the west or, the Great Lakes dried up. Or that terrible heat. I'd go insane.

Never say never.

But I"m more anxious about huge blizzards, polar vortex cold,  or lake effect snow events. We can't be as "lucky" as we've been forever when it's all falling apart everywhere else.

So maybe I'll save some of that panic food!!!!

Valued Contributor

@Othereeeen , I agree on clearing out the freezer.  Just got rid of the turkey I purchased for last Thanksgiving.  I never cook a turkey for Thanksgiving but with the talk of shortages I thought I would do one.  Then my granddaughter ate at her boyfriends early that day (turkey) so I opted to cook a ham and left that bird frozen.  Could stand looking at it no longer!

Honored Contributor

I can't tell you how good a pot roast sounds right now------

Esteemed Contributor

My husband will NOT eat a pot roast. sigh. He is not partial to any slow cooked meat, unless it's smoked meat like a brisket or ribs. It's torture to even get him to eat beef stew or beef barley soup. I think his mother, who was not a great cook, put him off of pot roast/stew and now I'm stuck w/ a sort of picky eater.

We do have bone-in pork roasts about every couple of months and we do a bone-in rib roast a few times a year.

A nice pot roast w/ gravy, mashed potatoes and oven baked carrots really does sound fabulous. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  Funny you should mention this. I just asked my SIL for her Sunday Pot Roast (with Coke) she used to make when we got together with my Mom on Sunday's after church. I want to include it in a recipe book I'm compiling for my kids. I think it's easy and tasty.

Coke Roast Beef

Ingredients:

2-4 pound Beef Roast – use chuck or rump (chuck is fattier)
Carrots – sliced into large chunks or baby carrots
Onions – quartered or thickly sliced.
Potatoes  - small whole or halved large (optional)
Celery (optional)
1 Package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
6 -12 ounces Coke

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place carrots in bottom of roasting pan or Dutch Oven. Place roast on top of carrots – fat side up. Add quartered or thickly sliced onions on top and all around the roast. Add potatoes and celery around roast, if using. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top of roast. Pour Coke on top and around roast. Cover and braise for 3 hours, depending on size of roast. Check roast for softness at 3 hours and allow to continue to cook if it isn't soft. You can strain the gravy and thicken with flour and cook for a few minutes.
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 

DH can't take as much of certain meats as well as I can tolerate them.  I think he is a closet IBS guy, but he tells the doctor nothing.

I will cook what  ever small roast or whatever I want, have it while he has what he can deal with and freeze separate servings of what I like for later.

If he grills a pork loin roast, I'll have it with him on night 1.

The next night, he finishes the 1 serving leftover and I pull a dinner I froze for myself.

This works out quite well for us!