Honored Contributor

Re: Your Favorite? Potato Salad or Pasta Salad?

I like both, but I usually only eat potato salad if it's mine because I hate eggs and often they are included in the salad. I do like pasta salad , but again it depends on the recipe. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Pasta salad although it is not way up on my list, and only the kind that has oil and vinegar and not mayonnaise in it.  If it has it, only a tiny bit and not a lot of mayo.  

I am not fond of gummy salads. 

@Sooner 

Being in the south, I have never tasted the potato salad you mentioned!  I'd love to!Smiley Happy

@ECBG You haven't had that kind of potato salad in the south??????  I sure have!  It's especially good if you put the oil and vinegar dressing on while the potatoes are warm. It is not as heavy or as likely to spoil at gatherings as the mayo kind.  And some of us like it better.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG 

In Italia, there is no such thing as ‘bottled Italian dressing’. It doesn’t exist. lol

It’s an American thing. We only use olive oil and vinegar or olive oil and lemon and maybe salt and pepper too, but bottled dressing is not a thing in Italia.

There are many foods here (U.S.) labeled Italian that don’t actually exist in Italia.

Trusted Contributor

Cole slaw. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I like both, but I usually only eat potato salad if it's mine because I hate eggs and often they are included in the salad. I do like pasta salad , but again it depends on the recipe. 

@QVCkitty1 

I only use the white of the boiled egg.  It doesn't have an odor, and it's more heart healthy.

Esteemed Contributor

Like both pasta and potato.  But never with bottled dressing, envelopes of dressing, mayo or sour cream.

Make my own dressings and always add onion 🧅.  Pasta salads veer more to veggies.

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE potato salad. My favorite store-bought brand is Sally Sherman. I don't know if that's regional (NYC area) or nationally available. Great classic potato salad. That brand also offers a potato salad with eggs, but not my preference. 

I do not eat macaroni salad or any pasta salad. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love a great potato salad. I have passed that duty off to my 2 daughter in-laws for large family gatherings. Potatoes, lots and lots of hard boiled eggs, celery, dill pickle, sweet yellow onion, dijon mustard, mayo and dill juice. Salt to taste. (I don't make potato salad for just me and hubby.)

I make many versions of pasta salad using orzo pasta...we have it all year long. Easier to make just enough for 2 people. Harder, for me at least, to make a good potato salad for 2 without having lots leftover...which I will eat until its gone.

Make my own dressing...always includes olive oil and fresh herbs. Sometimes I use a vinegar, sometimes I use fresh citrus juice...like lemon, lime or orange juice. Just depends on my mood that day and what else I am throwing in the salad.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Potato salad with mustard

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like both but with little-to-no mayonnaise.

Ick to ranch dressing, yuck to sour cream.