Honored Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Brand Of Doughnut?

Dunking donuts changed their emphasis from donuts to coffee.  A new one opened up at our university.  Disappointed.  I dislike coffee, the tea is limited in selection and the donuts are not many.  The only donut I ever liked is glazed.  The new donuts there are sugar covered.  It's a new hit with the students.  Even though we have a Starbucks, Dunking coffee is cheaper and better tasting (so I've heard from the students).  Nobody seems to buy the donuts anymore.  All there for the coffee.

So I go to the 7/11 store just to get glazed donuts! I get the long twisted glazed ones.  2 for a dollar.  (I have to spell it Duncan by the way.  QVC won't let me type in the other word)

Respected Contributor

I know this wont help most, but if you are in Southern Califoria, my town (Glendora) has a great place called "Donut Man" -it has fabulous doughnuts and the owner, Jim, and his family were held in a Japanese internment camp in Arizona- his is an amazing story!

Jim is famous for his fresh strawberry and fresh peach doughnuts, Tiger tails and many others..He is open 24 hours every day but Thanksgiving and Christmas! Check out his wares!donut man assortment.jpgdonut man assortment.jpg

Contributor

Here in Bloomington, IN we don't have Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts, but we have a couple of local donut shops. Cresent Donuts & Square Donuts

Cresent has been around for years & years. Nothing fancy, just great donuts & open 24 hours.

Square Donuts opened a few years ago. Yes, believe it or not, but donuts can be square.

This thread is making me crave donuts. LOL  

Square Donuts.jpg

Regular Contributor

Here in Phoenix, it's Bosa Donuts.  They are the best.  I used to be a Dunkin fan but Bosa has ruined DD for me.  

Honored Contributor

The only donuts I could eat that didn't kill me with heartburn came from the A&P in store bakery.

They had the best bakery around.  I really miss them for that.

Honored Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

Not a Krispy Kreme fan here.  They came to town and a bunch of them popped up but...they were not well received in this market and all were closed in no time.  I think KK seems to have a regional loyalty that does not translate as well in other parts of the country.  I would take DD over KK any day.

---

Agree, the Krispy Kreme in our area didn't last long. We have many local bakeries with exceptional products. In fact, Uncle Mike's Bake Shop near Green Bay has won national contests.

Honored Contributor

There are a couple of local bakeries that make wonderful doughnuts but Dunkin Donuts is where we usually get our Sunday morning donuts.  It's closer and we like them.  We don't have a Krispy Kreme near us,  I don't think there are any in our state now.  The came in a while ago and Krispy Kreme was all the rage.  Long, long lines.  People couldn't get enough of them and then it was all over.  People were saying they were too small, too expensive, the lines were too long,  they'd run out of flavors.  And then they were gone.  I think the real reason was that this is Dunkin Donuts territory and the newness of Krispy Kreme jus wore off.

Respected Contributor

The best donut I ever had was from a bakery in Jamestown NJ called Mendokers.  They came with or without white powder and the cream inside was to die for!  So light, so fluffy.  Not overly sweet.  Just delicious.  However, the bakery closed a couple of years ago.  Very sad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Krispy Kreme  too doughy, like fried white bread.  I like a local (Texas/NM) chain called Shipley's.

@Kachina624 I like Shipley's too!  But they are not just in your neck of the woods.  They are all over the place in the south at least.

We don't have a KK any more OR a Dunkin Donuts.  But we have several around town and in a closer town that all are run by Asians.  The DD was a big deal in the 70's and 80's then closed. 

We have a number of other local joints as well.  A couple are specialized types--weird stuff--and then there are several Sunshine ones, and others. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sweetwater's Donut Mill in my area has the best donuts I've ever tasted! Large variety, open 24/7, and special donuts at various times of the year. My favorite is the New York Cheesecake - a yeast donut with a cream cheese filling and strawberry topping. I only eat them a couple of times a year though. As delicious as they are, they're just not healthy. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~