Respected Contributor

Re: You might want to disable your unused ice maker

I dated a guy that had an ice maker.  It was brand new too and it was putting out these pieces of green things!  LOL!!!  It looked like green sprinkles.  I never would want an ice maker or a dish washer.  I'm funny like that.  I just want to wash my own dishes even if I don't feel like it.  Yeah, I've seen WAY too many things go wrong with ice makers.

Trusted Contributor

I like these little ice cube makers, just freeze and ready, our ice maker is slow slow slow........

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

I like these little ice cube makers, just freeze and ready, our ice maker is slow slow slow........

Those are cool.  Where are they from?  TIA  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt walmart dot com carries them. 

Esteemed Contributor

That would more likely happen if the hose to the ice maker was plastic. It should be made out of copper metal.

My son's condo just sustained major water damage. 2 weeks ago the washing machine from the unit above him overflowed. It rained an ocean down on his place. Walls &  ceilings are being replaced. Carpeting had to be pulled up & dried.My son & daughter-in-law are living in a hotel. They hope to move back in tomorrow. Luckily insurance is paying for everything!!

Honored Contributor

One thing that has always scared me was the possibly of having the inside of my house flooded from some kind of water pipe thing.

Once, probably not too long after we bought this house, I had gotten home from work and I could hear what sounded like water (like the sound of a stream or river) from the heater vent in the dining room.

I told the husband right away and he had a plumber guy go under the house.  He found some sort of pipe issue and fixed it.  Fortunately, the only water was under the house.  I guess, also, a previous owner had lined the whole thing and the pipes were wrapped so that was good to learn.

I don't know how that would have ended if I hadn't heard that water in the floor vent!  Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

@chickenbutt walmart dot com carries them. 

Thank You so much!

I have two Tupperware covered ice cube trays and a couple of little single-row ones that I think I got a hundred years ago from one of those little catalogues that used to come in the mail (anybody remember those?).

Anyway, although all these are covered they aren't actually sealed.   They just kind of lightly click on but if you breathed on them hard the lids would just fly off.   I'm most surprised that the Tupperware ones don't fully seal.

I wish Lock & Lock made some sealed ice cube trays.   I'd buy those in a hot second.  I like the idea of having them sealed up.   I don't use them very often at all but when I do I have to be very careful how I put them in my, usually pretty full, freezer so they don't fall over since the lids would just fall right off and the water would spill everywhere.

Valued Contributor

I happened to be home one day a couple of weeks ago because we were having our floors repaired underneath the house.  

I heard a noise in the kitchen and our microwave had come on by itself.  Every time I closed the door it came on.  I couldn't clear the digital pad.  All I could do was unplug it.  I thought I was going to have to get the workers from under the house to help me but sheer panic made me grab that thing off of the shelf and deposit it on my porch for disposal.

After researching for a new one to purchase, the fact that they can come on by themselves happens with many brands.  They are all made in China and all have some good reviews and then all have bad reviews.  

I decided to put the new microwave where we can unplug it after every use.  I make sure it is unplugged every time I pass thru the kitchen.  Luckily, it is easy to see the outlet.  I wouldn't have one if I couldn't do this.

Scary how all of the throw-away appliances are dangerous and killing our planet with all of the disposal in land fills.

I have also read that toasters cause more fires than most anything and that they should never be left plugged in.

Valued Contributor

I know of several people that have decorative pictures hanging over their toilets.  The picture falls behind the tank and hits the pipes and floods the house.  Three people I work with have had this happen to them.  

Also, make sure that the water line to your washer is replaced periodically as this too can rupture and flood your home.

Honored Contributor

@marky wrote:

I happened to be home one day a couple of weeks ago because we were having our floors repaired underneath the house.  

I heard a noise in the kitchen and our microwave had come on by itself.  Every time I closed the door it came on.  I couldn't clear the digital pad.  All I could do was unplug it.  I thought I was going to have to get the workers from under the house to help me but sheer panic made me grab that thing off of the shelf and deposit it on my porch for disposal.

After researching for a new one to purchase, the fact that they can come on by themselves happens with many brands.  They are all made in China and all have some good reviews and then all have bad reviews.  

I decided to put the new microwave where we can unplug it after every use.  I make sure it is unplugged every time I pass thru the kitchen.  Luckily, it is easy to see the outlet.  I wouldn't have one if I couldn't do this.

Scary how all of the throw-away appliances are dangerous and killing our planet with all of the disposal in land fills.

I have also read that toasters cause more fires than most anything and that they should never be left plugged in.

Yikes!  That's kind of freaky scary!  I never heard about that.  My main one is a Sharp brand (been using Sharp microwaves for several decades) and I hope that doesn't happen with them now.   I do only plug it in when I'm going to use it, then it's unplugged as soon as it's done.

Above my stove there is a built in (GE brand) that I only store stuff in so it would be really bad if that one started on its own.  Besides, when they turn on with nothing in them that is also dangerous.

I used to also unplug the one over the stove but I like to use the light and the fan so I have to keep it plugged in.  

Something else to watch out for, I guess.  Smiley Surprised Thanks for the heads up.