Honored Contributor

Re: You might want to disable your unused ice maker

I would be lost without an ice maker...LOL!  Between all the iced tea I drink, as well as iced water, and having a puppy that demands ice in his water bowl, it works hard to keep up with us!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@mspatmac   I would consult with a refrigerator installer or plumber before shutting the water completely off.  Air in pipe line - leaking - cube machine needing more water.....more could go wrong than right.

I wouldn't do it - 

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Wow, what a shocker that had to be!  Glad it wasn't something more serious.

I really have no need for the ice maker (I put my bottles of water in the refrigerator as I do like my water cold), so whenever I get a new refrigerator I either have the ice maker removed or, if it came separate, I just wrap it up and put it out in the garage.

Not only do I not have to deal with something I won't use (maybe once a year I need some ice and I can deal with that), but I have more room in the freezer.  Smiley Happy

In our 53 years of marriage we have had two ice maker floods. After the second one we decided to disconnect the thing and never use one again.

As for the washer hose, we were warned to only use the ones that are flexible metal.  Even a seemingly small amount of water can do an awful lot of damage.

Respected Contributor

Same thing happened to me. My son turned off the water to the fridge but I miss my water dispenser and ice maker.

Respected Contributor

With the quality of today's appliances, no wonder insurance rates rising rapidly.  

Honored Contributor

This thread reminds me of what one builder said:  "There are about ten major things that can go wrong with a house...and TWELVE of them have to do with water!"  Ironic, but true.

My two kitchen floods were both caused by the icemaker, but not for the reason you'd think.

My lovely little Siamese kitten years ago heard the sound of the water coursing through the small, flexible hose behind the refrigerator.  And she was just small enough to get hold of it and chew!  Thank goodness I had the wherewithal to rush to the basement and shut off the valve, because DH hadn't a clue.

Fast forward about ten years...and our new little tabby boy heard the water...get it?  Same darn thing!  The good thing is that I knew how to repair the line and replace the compressor nut.  Practice makes perfect.  (No more small kittens before I block off that gap!)

Respected Contributor

@hopi @chickenbutt 

A few years ago we drove back from FL snowbirding to our mountain place to check on it.  We got the heat going, turned on the hot water heater and went out grocery shopping while things warmed up.  When we got back to the house, I went down to the basement for something.

And as I stepped off the last stair, I knew something very bad had happened: I stepped onto a floating rug !  The entire basement, including a carpeted bedroom, was under several inches of water.  DH had forgotten to turn off the water drain hose from the second floor when we first got to the house.  The water had overflowed the drain bucket......

We pulled the carpets to the garage and over the next two weeks they drained and got aired out.  We sprayed them with a DEP product and continued airing them out.  They were fine.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

After reading this don't think I would go for a  refrigerator with icemaker in door next time I need a new one

Just saw an portable icemaker in so many pretty colors being  sold on HSN .

Wonder if anyone can add to liked or dislikes counter top icemaker.

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@hopi @chickenbutt 

A few years ago we drove back from FL snowbirding to our mountain place to check on it.  We got the heat going, turned on the hot water heater and went out grocery shopping while things warmed up.  When we got back to the house, I went down to the basement for something.

And as I stepped off the last stair, I knew something very bad had happened: I stepped onto a floating rug !  The entire basement, including a carpeted bedroom, was under several inches of water.  DH had forgotten to turn off the water drain hose from the second floor when we first got to the house.  The water had overflowed the drain bucket......

We pulled the carpets to the garage and over the next two weeks they drained and got aired out.  We sprayed them with a DEP product and continued airing them out.  They were fine.

That had to be stressful...

Honored Contributor

could not live without an icemaker!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein