Valued Contributor

Re: You'll Never Guess Why They're Hershey's Kiss!!!!!!!!

Pre-Pandemic I used to drive out at least once a year or twice just to go to the gift store/chocolate factory which is open year round & stock up on gifts & get a milkshake & their gourmet cupcakes which are both to die for!! Only about an hour or so away for me.

A must stop is the ride about the history of Hershey's. It's cheesy but cute! It's free for everyone & accommodates all ages - and you get a piece of chocolate at the end! They do mention this fact about the kisses!
Contributor

Hi 1 Snicklers,

What a sweet story & fun & lovely memories you have of your Dad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched a show on the Discovery Chanel which was the story of how the Hershey flavor was created. I wouldn't normally watch that type of thing but found it interesting. Some of my husband's family members have taken a tour in Hershey, PA.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliemom4 :  I remember touring the Hersey's plant between 1953-55 and it was so much fun ( overwhelming smell of chocolate: thats what I wanted to do when I grew up)..Did it again around 2004-5 and it was a mini Disneyland; not the same experience!  Sorry my son couldn't share my wonderful memory.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@colliemom4 :  I remember touring the Hersey's plant between 1953-55 and it was so much fun ( overwhelming smell of chocolate: thats what I wanted to do when I grew up)..Did it again around 2004-5 and it was a mini Disneyland; not the same experience!  Sorry my son couldn't share my wonderful memory.

@patbz  Have you ever seen that movie Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? For some reason that came to my mind after reading your post. My kids made me watch that with them so many times lol.

Sorry you couldn't share your memories with your son. I know that feeling. Everything changes so much.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting story.  I toured the Hershey factory in PA back when I was in high school but don't remember a thing about it.  Chocolate isn't exactly a favorite of mine anyway but I've never cared for Hershey's Kisses.  I will sometimes buy a bag of them for my candy dish at work because it's one thing that doesn't tempt me.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I only love the original none of the newer kind with almonds and such.  I also enjoy putting some in the freezer and letting them dissolve in my mouth slowly on summer days.  Hershey is another name for Happiness!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG 

Many years ago when my kids were little, our family had the fun experience of staying at a Hershey hotel.  Since this hotel was in Corpus Christi, Texas, I had no idea that it offered the same atmosphere as in Hershey, PA.  So I was warning my kids as we walked up to the door not to expect anything out of the way just because this hotel was owned by Hershey. 

Whoa, was I ever wrong! The first thing the clerk at the check-in desk did was to had my kids Hershey's kisses lol.  They both turned and looked at me like, "See we told you so!" 

I'm a certified choco-holic and I was in 7th heaven.  On the breakfast menu there were chocolate chip pancakes, chocolate breakfast muffins, etc., etc. And of course the desserts were a chocolate lovers dream.  At night, of course, there were Hershey's kisses on everyone's pillows. 

I have such fond memories of our stay there, and I was sad to read some years later that it had closed.  But it lives on in my chocolate lovin' mind. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags 

Your memory is so special!  I can't imagine!!!!

Honored Contributor

If they are available in your area, try Guittard.  You will never go back to anything else.