Trusted Contributor

Re: You get one episode to star in your own cooking show ...

@TenderMercies wrote:

”Baba’s Kitchen”

Russian and Eastern European food

Appetizer - Yayashnick (Homeade egg cheese) with Challah bread and hrin (grated horseradish and beet juice). 

Soup - Sauerkraut and Pea Soup.

Main - Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Mashed Potatoes.

Dessert - Chrusciki (Polish crisp fried dough sprinkled with powdered sugar).

@TenderMercies

Hi!  Do you have a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing for Sauerkraut and Pea Soup?  I once had a coworker from the Ukraine who brought this soup as her contribution to our office Christmas luncheon.  It was so good!  Also, can you tell me how to make stewed sauerkraut?  TIA.

Honored Contributor

My earliest memories of cooking are of watching my mother and grandmothers cooking on a wood fired cookstove.   The stove always had a fire in it, but about half an hour before the meal started, more wood was put in the firebox to get the temperature rising, and once the thermometer started getting closer to the desired level, the iron skillet or bread pan went inside the oven to heat while the cornbread or biscuits were made.   

My show would be called Going Back in Time, and I would prepare the simple farm foods we ate when I was a child, on a wood fired cookstove.  Multiple large iron skillets of fried deer tenderloin or large fresh ham slices, cornbread, hearty fried potatoes and onions, and brown beans with thick soup seasoned with salt pork.  

I doubt my show would have much of a following.   

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@grandma petes wrote:

I would call it “Mixing Up A Memory” and have shows with parents and grandparents cooking with kids. My fondest memories are when I would cook and bake with my grandmother. Being in the kitchen with her was magical. So much time is spent these days on electronic devices, that people and families aren’t connecting with each other in the simple, carefree ways that I remember in my childhood. A lot more would be learned than just measuring and mixing. Passing on traditions and just being in the moment. I only see my granddaughter once or twice a year, so we always have a baking/cooking day. She looks forward to almost as much as I do.😊

@grandma petes

I love this!  I hope FN is reading this forum, because I would watch this.  I didn't have a grandmother like that, but I look forward to being one.

Thanks house-cat....I truly believe that there are so many wonderful memories made when people just connect in the simplest of ways....cooking, sharing and passing on traditions will create memories that last a lifetime. Your kind words just made my day.😊

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My earliest memories of cooking are of watching my mother and grandmothers cooking on a wood fired cookstove.   The stove always had a fire in it, but about half an hour before the meal started, more wood was put in the firebox to get the temperature rising, and once the thermometer started getting closer to the desired level, the iron skillet or bread pan went inside the oven to heat while the cornbread or biscuits were made.   

My show would be called Going Back in Time, and I would prepare the simple farm foods we ate when I was a child, on a wood fired cookstove.  Multiple large iron skillets of fried deer tenderloin or large fresh ham slices, cornbread, hearty fried potatoes and onions, and brown beans with thick soup seasoned with salt pork.  

I doubt my show would have much of a following.   

@RedTop, your show might not have much of a following but if you would feed me I'd follow you anywhere.  You triggered many fond childhood memories.  Nothing cooks like a wood fired stove.

My neighbor had a wood fired stove and after she passed and the property was being sold I so wanted that stove but had no where to install it.  Even used I couldn't afford it either lol.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@house_cat:  My show would be titled "The Reluctant Gourmet".  This title was given to me by my DH when I we opened up a small business and would host small dinner parties for our best customers.  DS would plan the menu by looking for various sides that we could duplicate from the restaurants we loved.  Here is our menu:

Wedge Salads (dupe from Outback)

Filet Mignon (grilled by DS who is a fantastic cook)

Fleming's Chiptole Mac and Cheese

My "famous" Mashed Potatoes

Sister Schubert Dinner Rolls

Sunny Anderson's Chocolate Bread Pudding

We get called the best restaurant in our small town.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom

Good for you!  As much as I love to cook and bake, I could never run a food establishment.  It's such hard work!

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Hoovermom

Good for you!  As much as I love to cook and bake, I could never run a food establishment.  It's such hard work!

@house_cat:  LOL, our business is not a restaurant but our customers love the food we entertain with.  I have always said that the one room in the house I could do without is the kitchen.  Anyway, thus the name "the reluctant gourmet" is from my DH of 42 years.