Honored Contributor

In case anybody has ever had any concerns about how long dry yeast will stay good in the freezer here is some information from Red Star rep.

I just recently, on vacation, found Platinum yeast and bought all they had and was wondering if I could store the 3 strips in the freezer and wrote to Red Star.

Thank you for writing.  You may store any dry yeast in the freezer, including Platinum.  The freezer is great for long term storage. For best results, when you go to use it, I recommend taking the amount you will be using out the freezer.  Allow it to sit out at room temperature for at least 45 minutes prior to use.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

Happy Baking!
Carol

Honored Contributor

Re: Yeast storage information

I've been an avid baker for years and buy yeast by the pound and store it in a canning jar in the freezer. I've ever ever bothered to bring it to room temperature before using and have no issues with my baked good rising. I also don't proof my yeast before using. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: Yeast storage information

Think she just thought be good idea to leave pkg or 2 out overnight to get it up to room temp. Even though you would be adding warm liquids to it it would have to lose some of the coldness fast and maybe be thick.