Valued Contributor

Would someone be so kind to post a recipe from ATK for me...

It was on tv last night, Chocolate Caramel Cake. I can't access their website unless I join and I would rather not do that. If you can, could you, thank you in advance. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Would someone be so kind to post a recipe from ATK for me...

[ Edited ]

I thought you had to pay to join but it's free so I just joined. LOL!!!

Ingredients

Cake
Caramel Filling
  • 1 ¼ cups (8 3/4 ounces) granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup light corn syrup
  • ¼ cup water
  • cup heavy cream
  • tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
  • teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
Frosting
  • ¼—½ teaspoon coarse sea salt, (optional)

Instructions

1. FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans, line with parchment paper, grease parchment, and flour pans. Sift flour and cocoa into large bowl. Whisk in sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk buttermilk, water, oil, eggs, and vanilla together in second bowl. Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until smooth batter forms. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and smooth tops with rubber spatula.

2. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 22 to 28 minutes, switching and rotating pans halfway through baking. Let cakes cool in pans on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, discarding parchment, and let cool completely on rack, at least 2 hours.

3. FOR THE CARAMEL FILLING: Lightly grease 8-inch square baking pan. Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook, without stirring, until mixture is amber colored, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, swirling saucepan occasionally, until dark amber, 2 to 5 minutes longer. (Caramel will register between 375 and 380 degrees.)

4. Off heat, carefully stir in cream, butter, vanilla, and salt (mixture will bubble and steam). Return saucepan to medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until smooth and caramel reaches 240 to 245 degrees, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully transfer caramel to prepared pan and let cool until just warm to touch (100 to 105 degrees), 20 to 30 minutes.

5. FOR THE FROSTING: Process butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in food processor until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add corn syrup and vanilla and process until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add chocolate and pulse until smooth and creamy, 10 to 15 seconds. (Frosting can be made 3 hours in advance. For longer storage, cover and refrigerate frosting. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.)

6. Using long serrated knife, score 1 horizontal line around sides of each cake layer; then, following scored lines, cut each layer into 2 even layers.

7. Using rubber spatula or large spoon, transfer 1/3 of caramel to center of 1 cake layer and use small offset spatula to spread over surface, leaving 1/2-inch border around edge. Repeat with remaining caramel and 2 of remaining cake layers. (Three of your cake layers should be topped with caramel.)

8. Line edges of cake platter with 4 strips of parchment to keep platter clean. Place 1 caramel-covered cake layer on platter. Top with second caramel-covered layer. Repeat with third caramel-covered layer and top with final layer. Spread frosting evenly over sides and top of cake. Carefully remove parchment strips. Let cake stand for at least 1 hour. (Cake can be made 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Let stand at room temperature for at least 5 hours before serving.) Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, if using. Cut and serve.

NOTE FROM THE TEST KITCHEN Baking spray that contains flour can be used to grease and flour the pans. Both natural and Dutch-processed cocoa will work in this recipe. When taking the temperature of the caramel in steps 3 and 4, remove the pot from the heat and tilt the pan to one side. Use your thermometer to stir the caramel back and forth to equalize hot and cool spots and make sure you are getting an accurate reading.

Why This Recipe Works

Many chocolate-caramel cakes barely contain enough caramel flavor to merit the name. To ensure caramel flavor in each bite, we sandwich three layers of thick but spreadable caramel filling between layers of deep, dark, moist chocolate cake. For a not-too-sweet caramel that is spreadable but thick enough to stand out between the layers, we cook it until it’s dark (but not burnt) and add extra butter to ensure that it sets up at room temperature and does not ooze. Our thick, satiny chocolate frosting comes together in the food processor in minutes.

caramel_layer_cake-28_201.jpg

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much, I too thought you might have to pay, I'm too cheap. LOL

I'm copying it right now!

Honored Contributor

Be careful. I know Facebook is cracking down on the posting of Copyrighted material. I'm on an Air Fryer group, and the admin got a warning for posting a Copyrighted recipe even though it had been cleared with the copyright owner. I know this isn't Facebook, but you never know.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's part of the agreement PBS has with America's Test Kitchen that they will provide recipes for free that appear on this season's episodes of the series. 

What I don't like is that you have to follow a link to the Test Kitchen and give them your email address to access the recipes online. They can use that email address to send you ads for their magazine and products. 

I wish PBS would just publish this season's recipes on the PBS website, and leave them up as long as they have a relationship with the test kitchen. This is what Food Network does with its TV chefs. 

The way I look at it, PBS has paid for the use of this content, at least for a year. I don't see a problem with us discussing or posting it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't see anything wrong with posting it or discussing it either. It's not like I'm trying to sell it for profit or pass it off as mine.

You can always use what I call a throw away email addy to sign up for these type things so your regular email does not get flooded with unwanted emails.

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

It's part of the agreement PBS has with America's Test Kitchen that they will provide recipes for free that appear on this season's episodes of the series. 

What I don't like is that you have to follow a link to the Test Kitchen and give them your email address to access the recipes online. They can use that email address to send you ads for their magazine and products. 

I wish PBS would just publish this season's recipes on the PBS website, and leave them up as long as they have a relationship with the test kitchen. This is what Food Network does with its TV chefs. 

The way I look at it, PBS has paid for the use of this content, at least for a year. I don't see a problem with us discussing or posting it. 

AMEN!  I'd hoped that nonsense would be done with when the old cheapskate left the show!   LOL!!!   Guess not!  Darn!

Honored Contributor

Ok, it was just a thought.

Honored Contributor

Be careful.

I joined a couple of years ago, but the free membership was only for a limited amount of time. If you don't unsubscribe before the deadline they start charging you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Be careful.

I joined a couple of years ago, but the free membership was only for a limited amount of time. If you don't unsubscribe before the deadline they start charging you.

@house_cat How can they start charging me? I did not give them any type of a payment method for anything.