Honored Contributor

anyone have his meatloaf recipe? Looks really good on TV. I make mine with hamburger, egg, onions, tad of BBQ sauce and ketchup and oats for moistness. Holds it together instead of crushed crackers. Then swizzle either bbq sauce or ketchup on top and bake for like hr. and a half in a loaf pan. 350

Honored Contributor

Re: Wolfgang meatloaf recipe

Is that for 2 pounds of ground meat ... or how much?

Trusted Contributor

Never thought of using oats. I love meatloaf, but had to go gluten free. No bread crumbs, or bread anything, but gluten free oats would work. It is not what you asked, but thanks! Not sure why I never thought of oats.

Re recipe, did you poke around HSN's Wolf area, to see if any of his recipes are posted?

Or go browse his cookbooks at the bookstore and write his meatloaf recipe down. He has many cookbooks out there.

Meatloaf is one of those items I just wing every time I would make it. I always tasted yummy, but never the same each time. Smile

Honored Contributor

love meatloaf, but usually never follow any recipes......i just know what goes into mine and have made it so often that i could do it blindfolded.

i ordered the cookbook he offered so if a meatloaf recipe is in there i can post it for you.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I found this receipe of his. Not sure if this is the one he makes on HSN.

Wolfgang Puck's Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

As is served at Wolfgang Puck Express, Downtown Disney

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
1/2 pound mushrooms, trimmed and finely chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, peeled and minced fine
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, minced
1 1/1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground veal
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 pound bacon
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onion until translucent. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until they begin to color, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cream, spices, salt, and pepper,and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine beef, pork, and veal, add egg. Stir until ingredients are completely combined (using hands is sometimes easiest). Set aside.

In a 9x5x3-inch pan, line the bottom and sides of the pan with bacon slices, making sure the edges overlap slightly and hang over the edges. Add meat mixture, patting smooth and evenly. Fold the ends of the bacon up and over the meat mixture, enclosing it completely. Cover with foil and place in a roasting pan
DSC03066
Prepare a water bath by putting roasting pan inthe warmed oven and adding boiling water until the water comes halfway up the side of the loaf pan. Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil. Slide shelf into the oven and bake 1 hour. Remove the foil and continue to bake until meat hits 160 on a meat thermometer, an additional 30 or so minutes. Drain if needed.

When done, remove meatloaf and allow it to rest in the pan for 10 minutes. Cut the loaf crosswise into 8 slices. Serve drizzled with gravy made from pan juices, if desired.

Honored Contributor

On 2/7/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Is that for 2 pounds of ground meat ... or how much? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

only 1, just 2 of us. Oats dissolve within as the meatloaf cooks. One egg, can use 2 I guess if you want it moister. Probably half cup of ketchup . I always improvise as I go , so, it's hard to tell somebody how I make anything. I say "tad" LOL I like to add some spicy BBQ sauce just to kick it up a notch. LOL On, and salt and pepper too.

Super Contributor

Thanks, Vickie!

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/8/2015 Sharke said:
On 2/7/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Is that for 2 pounds of ground meat ... or how much? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

only 1, just 2 of us. Oats dissolve within as the meatloaf cooks. One egg, can use 2 I guess if you want it moister. Probably half cup of ketchup . I always improvise as I go , so, it's hard to tell somebody how I make anything. I say "tad" LOL I like to add some spicy BBQ sauce just to kick it up a notch. LOL On, and salt and pepper too.

I cook that way too. That's how my mother cooked. I like to share my "recipes" but it really takes some thinkin' to put it in print{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Yes, thanks !

Respected Contributor

"Grew up" making the oatmeal meatloaf- As I recall, it called for a can of tomato soup too- Recipe was on the side of the Quaker Oats canister for years- it may still be there...

However, it DOES have a different texture than bread crumb meatloaf- It may be one of those thing that you either like, or you don't, based on what you are used to. But for those who are on a gluten free regimen, try it, I have always liked it-