Honored Contributor

Re: Wire Whisk for Mashed Potatoes?

@Pooky1 wrote:

sunshine45. wow cutco.  we have a cutco knife set we bought like 16 years ago and still love it.

I had a pair of the Cutco shears, that are used probably every day and needed sharpening, so I sent them back,  they send me back a new pair!  love them 

Regular Contributor

I too have a Cutco (set) and potato masher that was a wedding gift 53 years ago, talk about "sturdy" products that last the test of time!

Honored Contributor

I never thought about mashing spuds in the mixer---unfortunately, we are eating less spuds and when I make them, it is a very small amount and I use my hand mixer mostly. But lke the different things Tina showed using the mixer. I just got the shredding discs attachment and it works really well. I have the most basic KA stand mixer that I've had for 25 years----no need for the TS but if I had a ton of extra $$, that Toffee colored one would be mine!!!

Honored Contributor

What makes the potatoes starchy is over cooking as well as over mixing.

I always use my hand mixer.  

At Christmas when I do twice baked, I add butter and sour cream-no milk.  The extra sour cream provides the moisture. Then I use one of the metal spoons (I bought about five different ones in the early '80's.  LOVE them!!!)  they use in a cafeteria to fold in bacon bits.

Respected Contributor

I have mashed mine with a hand whisk before when my potato masher broke. I like mine chunky and with the skin on. I do know if you whisk them with an electric mixer too long they will turn to glue. My sister's MIL uses a hand mixer with the standard attachment, and they are nice and smooth. She may just do them like she prefers at home.
Regular Contributor

Did you know that you can take your cutco products to an oreck vacuum store and they will send to cutco for free? If you need sharpening or replacement, they have the forms you need to accompany your item. Cutco has opened some retail stores inside oreck facilities and they do sharpen some knives but don’t have the sharpening tools for all blades. The knives they are able to sharpen locally will need to be dropped off and retrieved later. They do not sharpen while you wait. They also demonstrate their products. Costco also sells cutco knives at special events. Look online at costco.com and view the special events calendar. I have had my set for 48 years and most have been replaced for free with newer styles sporting newer handles.