Honored Contributor

Wine and Cheese Restaurants (1970s)

When I was dating in late 1970s in NYC, Wine and Cheese restaurants were all the rage.  It was a nice place for a casual date - they had board games to play like Backgammon, checkers, chess and wooden puzzle games. Does anyone remember that trend?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Wine and Cheese Restaurants (1970s)

I remember there was one called "The Melting Pot" in Madison, Wisconsin.  I think it might have been a franchise. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, wine and  cheese was popular.  I got married in 1973 and we had a small casual wedding.   It took place in a wine  bar on a Saturday at lunchtime.

I got a minister to perform the ceremony there.  We had a guitar player to strum and sing.   Wine and cheese was served.  That was it.  

Respected Contributor

i remember Steak&Brew and Burger&Brew in NYC in the '70s.

NYC was so much fun in those days, at least the parts i went to.

When i went off to college in Boston there were two popular restaurants,  The Magic Pan and The Ground Round.  The Proud Popover  was fun too.  Fresh popovers drenched in butter and Honey.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

When i went off to college in Boston there were two popular restaurants,  The Magic Pan and The Ground Round.  The Proud Popover  was fun too.  Fresh popovers drenched in butter and Honey.

@CatsyCline  We had the Magic Pan and Ground Round in NJ.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@CatsyCline  We had the Magic Pan and Ground Round in NJ.

@proudlyfromNJ     i know this but it was the 70's and no Google.  i had only been to NYC and then Boston. My dorm roomate waitressed at the GR and she made tons of tip $$$$.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

When I was dating in late 1970s in NYC, Wine and Cheese restaurants were all the rage.  It was a nice place for a casual date - they had board games to play like Backgammon, checkers, chess and wooden puzzle games. Does anyone remember that trend?

Oh absolutely, @house_cat !  DH & I used to have a couple of favorite wine and cheese places we enjoyed, both in the French Quarter.  That would have been late 60s through mid-70s for us. Remember the wine bottles with the candle that dripped wax down the sides?  A necessity on every table, ha ha.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett