Respected Contributor
I’m hosting Friends-giving this Saturday. I ordered the Martha Stewart turkey dinner on 10/22 thinking it would be delivered in time. It went into backorder status twice. When I called customer service about it last week, the agent didn’t seem confident it would ship and suggested the Corky’s turkey instead. Fine by me, I used to live in Memphis and would have preferred Corky’s anyway. My experience ordering Corky’s on QVC has been the shipping was always prompt. The EDD when I placed the order last week was 11/9, cutting it close for Saturday but I could work with it.

Now it’s close of business on 11/8, there’s no tracking available for an item I should receive tomorrow, and no one at QVC seems to be able to help. My supermarket won’t have fresh turkeys in until next week. If I buy a frozen bird (about 12 pounds), will it be thawed to cook on Saturday? Any suggestions of what else I can do about a turkey?

It should not have been this difficult to purchase a turkey breast that costs $100.
Respected Contributor

Re: Will it thaw in time?

[ Edited ]

There is no way I would wait any longer.   Get a turkey TODAY and it will thaw by Sat.   When you get the QVC pkg,  freeze it.  I would also call them to let them know what happened in both cases.   However,  right now your priority is your party.   GET A TURKEY!!!!!  What size do you think you'll need?

Oh...   I see you have 12 lbs.  PERFECT.  Not too big.   Good luck.  Enjoy your party.  Shame it's so stressful.

Respected Contributor
I fully expect QVC will be issuing me a refund. It’s completely ridiculous no one at QVC can pick up the phone, call Corky’s, and call me back.
Honored Contributor

A $100 12lb Turkey and they can't get it to you in time??

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor
No, the Corky’s turkey is. 4.5 pound boneless turkey breast with 3 sides. It’s still $100 and no one knows if it’s been shipped.
Honored Contributor

The Corky's side dishes are St. Clair's, aren't they?  I ordered four St. Clair's side dishes one time and didn't like any of them.  If you haven't had them before I would never serve them to guests for the first time.  The side dishes I got were sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, baked apples and cornbread dressing.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor
I don’t care about the side dishes. Sweet potatoes and stuffing don’t require any special planning, but the turkey is still a problem.
Respected Contributor

Re: Will it thaw in time?

[ Edited ]

Since you weren't planning on serving a whole turkey I would try to find turkey legs or breast locally and serve that. That way, you don't have to worry about thawing out a turkey.

Several years ago I went to a Thanksgiving my now DH's cousin was hosting and it was a miserable night. The turkey was still frozen and even at 11 pm it was only cooked in some areas. Good thing someone brought a ham. 

Since QVC messed up, get a refund and just make an easier meal. I wouldn't deal with the worry of making a whole turkey now. 

Also, check Whole Foods if you have one in your area. I did a search online and they offer complete turkey meals at reasonable prices. You can also check Trader Joe's. Whole Foods can also roast your turkey for you as well and if you order tomorrow that should be enough time. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

@RollTide2008  Whatever you decide,   let us know how things go.  Freeze the QVC items, and yes,  they should give you a refund if the order was promised by a certain date.   All should be fine.   As someone suggested,  you can always do the breast or parts.   I'm sure there is a creative answer in the end.

Trusted Contributor

Hi @RollTide2008,

The stores in my area have different types of turkey choices.

I hope that you can find something for Sat.

If you did buy a turkey and if it's still partially frozen by the time that you want to make it for your party on Sat., you can finish thawing it out in cold water in your sink.

I like the Butterball turkey website as a cooking reference. It has lots of good cooking information on it.

I've seen turkey pieces in the store, if you just want some wings and legs, for example.

Also, I've seen boneless 3 lb. turkey breasts, and bone-in breasts, too, along with your standard turkeys.