Honored Contributor

Will You Go To A Different Store Just For The Deli?

I have gone to a different store just for the deli and bakery, actually.

The grocery store that has the best specials and gives gas points has a "meh" deli and bakery.  My big purchases there is Boar's Head cold cuts occasionally.

Everything I have gotten at Fresh Markets deli and bakery has always been wonderful, a serving of potato salad when I have no time, meatballs, especially their roasted chickens!

Honored Contributor

Re: Will You Go To A Different Store Just For The Deli?

I have never done grocery store deli offerings, except a few of the rotisserie chickens and the sliced meats and cheeses if they have a good selection.  

Otherwise, no. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

One day, loving broccili, I got the broccoli salad made with green goddess salad dressing.  It was quite good and a wonderful little adventure!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Definitely. One of our grocery stores has an outstanding deli that offers fresh foods, soups, salads, and of course rotisserie chicken. It has a cafeteria that serves hot plate lunches. The bakery's breads and sweets are tasty.

The prices on groceries at this store are higher than at another store where we purchase basic groceries. We often have two curbside pickups in a week because the stores are so different.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have gone to a different supermarket for the deli.  I tend to go to several grocery stores for my food.  Unfortunately I cannot find everything that I want in one store.

Honored Contributor

Yes, wherever I have lived, there were certain items available at different market delis, that weren't the same anywhere else. 

Honored Contributor

I only buy Boars Head corned beef at the deli once in a blue moon.  My regular grocery store always has it available. 

I do not buy any bakery items or any other store bought deli items. I have in the past and just ended up throwing it out. I don't eat it and my husband is picky.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  One a specialty German grocery store for their deli and bakery.  They make shoe fly pie all year long as well as other yummies the others don't carry.  Their nut rolls are to die for.  

Their deli is a specialty of German and English foods they make in their kitchen.  

Cute senior citizens grandma and grandpa types are the cooks and bakers.  

They sell meats, eggs, and produce from local farmers.  

Another one for their bakery.  This one makes large apple dumplings all year long.  Also, they make their own bread and very large Easter eggs, both milk chocolate and white chocolate with peanut butter and coconut cream.  Price is very low for the size.  

They have a good deli, too.  

Honored Contributor

No.  In my area of WV, the only local stores with a deli are Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Sams.   

I havent shopped in person at Wal-Mart for 4+ years.  I just tossed my grocery receipts from last year, and only had 3 receipts from Kroger in 2021.   I have to drive into Virginia to shop at Sams, which is an hour one way, so I very rarely shop in person there.   I don't even maintain an awareness of what a deli offers!   

Honored Contributor

YES, i usually go to GIANT for boars head meats and cheeses. they are the BEST and provide a really nice large selection of meats and cheeses and salads. i like to get mine freshly sliced  and always request sliced thin. i dont like when they are presliced or prepackaged. 

i used to also get deli meats from THE FRESH MARKET, but in our area they hardly carry anything anymore. disappointing because overall i love shopping there.

second in line now for a grocery store would be SAFEWAY. they carry dietz and watson lunchmeats which are pretty good.

we do also have a few local italian, jewish, and german delis that are a little more out of the way, but do carry good quality lunchmeats. if i am around there i will stop in.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein