Honored Contributor

Re: Why can't other restaurants take a lesson from Subway and lower their sodium content?

Some of us travel a lot and not by choice. That means eating quickly. Of all the fast food restaurants, Subway gets my vote more than hamburg places. I hear they are bringing back pink slime because beef is so pricey now. And I don't like ground up chicken, so that lets out most chicken patties.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why can't other restaurants take a lesson from Subway and lower their sodium content?

I hear you. We've recently moved across country and the restaurants here must buy one foot cubes of salt for their recipes because everything is incredibly salty~! I can't deal with the taste, nor can my DH, so there are several places we won't go to eat at all because of it.

The other problem I'm having is finding Sugar FREE items. There are No Sugar ADDED, but that isn't good enough for a Diabetic who just wants a taste of ice cream now and again. Dryers made a very good no fat/no sugar choco/vanilla ice cream that suddenly came up missing at the grocery store. When I asked Dryer they don't make it AT ALL any more. Also there is a Light & Fit Yogurt product for Diabetics that suddenly vanished. Now I can't even have a small cup of yogurt.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist..... but.....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

if i am going to eat out, subway is pretty much the LAST place i would go to.......although my son would eat there every day if i let him!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

I do agree with you. But dh and I go out to eat about once a year. And then feel guilty about that! Lol. I actually don't even cook with salt. I try to use other herbs and spices to enhance the flavor. I also don't buy processed food. There are times where I would love a hot bowl of new england clam chowder and then all I have to do is look at the sodium content and then I'm done. Another thing that's confusing to me. And it probably is only me. Is when i m watching the cooking channel and they salt everything and it may not be too much but to me it is. I'm scared to use their recommendation of salt, I wish they would suggest something besides salt. But then again-all the delicious recipes on the food network I wouldn't make anyway because most of them are too unhealthy and fattening. I wish more of the hosts; giada, barefoot contessa, etc. would all have a few tips on how to make it less fattening. I may watch the food network all the time but its usually while I'm making my healthy meal.
Honored Contributor

On 9/7/2014 sunshine45 said:

if i am going to eat out, subway is pretty much the LAST place i would go to.......although my son would eat there every day if i let him!

I feel the same way. About the only time I eat there is if I'm traveling. I'd rather have that than fast food burgers etc.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/7/2014 spookyghost said: I do agree with you. But dh and I go out to eat about once a year. And then feel guilty about that! Lol. I actually don't even cook with salt. I try to use other herbs and spices to enhance the flavor. I also don't buy processed food. There are times where I would love a hot bowl of new england clam chowder and then all I have to do is look at the sodium content and then I'm done. Another thing that's confusing to me. And it probably is only me. Is when i m watching the cooking channel and they salt everything and it may not be too much but to me it is. I'm scared to use their recommendation of salt, I wish they would suggest something besides salt. But then again-all the delicious recipes on the food network I wouldn't make anyway because most of them are too unhealthy and fattening. I wish more of the hosts; giada, barefoot contessa, etc. would all have a few tips on how to make it less fattening. I may watch the food network all the time but its usually while I'm making my healthy meal.

Spooky, I think the salt used on FoodTV shows (not in the actual recipes) is for show. They seem to use it by the handful to get it to snow on the dishes, whereas I'm barely using a teaspoon.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Their rolls contain an ingredient that's used to make yoga mats and flip flop soles nice and cushy.
New Contributor

On 9/8/2014 Lucky Charm said: Their rolls contain an ingredient that's used to make yoga mats and flip flop soles nice and cushy.

The chemical/ingredient that you're talking about (azodicarbonamide) was removed back in Mid-April.

Honored Contributor

Sbrun....can't quote on my phone. Thanks. Signed petitions and sent letters. It worked. Part of the Food Babe Army. Marching on!