Frequent Contributor

Re: Why are smoothies considered so healthy

GREEN SMOOTHIE IS THE RECIPE FOR WORLD PEACE! LOL. I got a Vitamix for Christmas and since Dec 30 I have had a morning smoothie. It has lifted my mood so much that it is my contention that we could transform the world thru better nutrition. In addition to improved outlook I noticed my joints were more flexible. Even my dermatitis cleared up. And that's only after a few weeks! Many would likely disagree with my smoothie composition since I do use a lot of fresh fruit. Right now it is probably 50/50 fruit to greens. I hope to increase the green ratio. In 5 days I consume 1.5 lbs of leafy greens in blended form. Much better absorption than if I had tried to chew that much. But I know it would never happen if I had to chew . . . Especially raw kale or chard. But I admit it kind of looks like dark green sludge. But if you add cherries the color will improve slightly.
Honored Contributor

I would only have a smoothie if I made it myself at home. I, then, would know exactly what went in it. I'd not have an sugar or banana or high glycemic index fruits. I would only make one with a lot of ice cubes, stevia or splenda, berries of some form, etc.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Contributor

I have one most weekdays for breakfast. The liquid is almond milk or sometimes water - one cup. I use a scoop of Secure (Andrew Lessman's meal replacement powder), one cup of frozen fruit (berries, or pineapple and mango, plus a small piece of frozen banana which really helps the texture without being an overload of sugar), and often toss in some kale or piece of carrot.

The demos with a Vitamix filled to the top are not meant to be one serving for one person, they are meant to show the capacity of the machine...

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2014 sidsmom said:

5 bananas, a liter of water....Banana Milk. Hydrating, sweet, filling.

Nothing wrong w/ carbohydrate calories from whole foods....our body needs the glycogen to survive. Human 101.

Do you drink that smoothie at one time. You realize one bannana depending on size can have 51 grams of carbohydrates.

Occasional Contributor

I think smoothies are as healthy or unhealthy as you make them (would never imagine buying one). I love to eat my veggies, but not so much fruit, so I make this fruit smoothy in my vitamix: 1/2 cup plain (no added sugar) soymilk; 1/2 cup fatfree cottage cheese (for the protein); a wee bit of sugar substitute; 1/2 to 3/4 cup frozen fresh fruit that I bought fresh and flash-froze. High fiber, low calorie, not too much sugar, high protein.

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2014 ccassaday said:
On 1/19/2014 sidsmom said:

5 bananas, a liter of water....Banana Milk. Hydrating, sweet, filling.

Nothing wrong w/ carbohydrate calories from whole foods....our body needs the glycogen to survive. Human 101.

Do you drink that smoothie at one time. You realize one bannana depending on size can have 51 grams of carbohydrates.

YEP! You got it sister! 500 calories, low fat, low sodium....I need 1800-2200 a day, depending on my activity level. High carbohydrate plant-based whole food meals fuel my body for my workouts. High carbohydrates also allow me to sleep better & recover quicker if I've had a high intensity workout...no lactic acid soreness in muscles...also a great mood stabilizer. Sweet, hydrating goodness!!

Valued Contributor

Sid can you give some of your recipes?? TIA

Super Contributor

I don't think they are, particularly. They're just convenient and for some people, the only way they will consume produce. If you make your own with a Vitamix or Ninja or whatever, you can decide what to put in (i.e., no sugar) and use the whole fruit or vegetable. Wouldn't the nutrition be the same from a head of broccoli whether you steam it or liquify it? I'm not an expert but it seems logical.

Honored Contributor

I do a lot of mono-meals, meaning just 500 calories of one fruit for a meal. Low-fat is important w/ this way of eating, though. Smoothies are good w/ mixtures of: banana-mango, banana-celery, papaya-strawberries, mango-peaches, peaches-celery, dates-celery. You can make lower calorie "soups" w/ spinach-red bell peppers-oranges, celery-red bell peppers-oranges, strawberries-cucumbers. Bananas can be mixed with celery, dates, pears, grapes. Salads can be made of pears/celery/ginger, cucumber/tomato/grapefruit.

I would highly recommend reading 80/10/10 diet by Douglas Graham and/or viewing the YouTube channel of FullyRawKristina. I would also recommend CRON-o-meter, which is a free online program, to track your calories. When eating clean, it's a very common mistake of not getting enough calories & eating too much fat (which can initiate candida). Everyone is different, but the groups I belong to recommend a minimum of 2000 is you have an active lifestyle...which you'll have since you'll have so much energy!! =Smiley Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Thx so much for all this! i had a lady tell me today to buy organic flour as she had a farm in North Dakota and the stuff they spray on wheat is gross. I am gluten free so I don't worry. But it is hard....just eat wild fish and no dairy. Once a month I eat cheese pizza