Respected Contributor

Re: Why are smoothies considered so healthy

Apples are healthy, too, unless they're dunked in caramel & rolled in candy chips. My point being, just because something's a "smoothie" doesn't necessarily make it healthy. Make it yourself with fresh fruit & veggies & then you'll have a healthy smoothie.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 depglass said:

I'm not giving up fruit, PERIOD. This issue reminds me of my friend and her doctor. He told her to quit eating carrots because they are high carb. This friend loves carrots and weighs a good 350 lbs. Why deny her this one pleasure, and not mention the potato chips, pizza, etc., she also eats. Carrots are not her problem. I could choke him.

Gurrrl....If you've read any of my previous posts, you can probably sense I'm pretty passionate about this issue. Typical "Fat-kins" thought...and so, so, so disgusted that info came from a "trusted" authority in the medical field. When will people realize it's not the carbs but the fat that's destroying us. Sometimes I feel like we're alone on a island, but let's not back down!!

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2014 house cat said:
On 1/20/2014 sidsmom said:

Oh my.....you are going to compare fruit sugars to processed sugars? Seriously? FacePalm...SMH.

Yes, when they are concentrated like they are in a smoothie. Your body doesn't metabolize it the same way as when it's in solid form.

When the American Heart Association talks about watching or limiting your sugar intake, they are talking about added sugars, not those naturally occurring in fruits.

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2014 Bikkie said:

I'm surprised there was a comparison from the sugars in fruit to that of a candy bar. I think some may be forgetting the other nutrition that is in fruit and vegetables like antioxidants, fiber and vitamins. Granted, some people have other nutritional needs that may require them to watch their sugar intake more carefully than others. However, when I received my Vitamix, I "drank" more vegetables in a month than I probably have in my whole life. I don't like green vegetables but I obviously can certainly drink them. I try to choose fruit that has a lower sugar content to be more calorie conscious but I love how much nutrition I am getting.

This is why many people need to take all those vitamins and supplements people like Andrew Lessman are pushing. Because they don't get what they need from eating healthy enough.

You are far better off eating properly than taking all those vitamins and supplements.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2014 sidsmom said:

I'm not giving up fruit, PERIOD. This issue reminds me of my friend and her doctor. He told her to quit eating carrots because they are high carb. This friend loves carrots and weighs a good 350 lbs. Why deny her this one pleasure, and not mention the potato chips, pizza, etc., she also eats. Carrots are not her problem. I could choke him.

Gurrrl....If you've read any of my previous posts, you can probably sense I'm pretty passionate about this issue. Typical "Fat-kins" thought...and so, so, so disgusted that info came from a "trusted" authority in the medical field. When will people realize it's not the carbs but the fat that's destroying us. Sometimes I feel like we're alone on a island, but let's not back down!!

I remember years back when everything started to be made in low-fat versions because fat was the enemy. How has that worked out? People are fatter than ever from eating all this low fat food.

Honored Contributor

I just gag looking at a smoothie.

I like to eat my fruits and vegetables whole.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a smoothie person but I've also never really tried them. I know on an everyday basis I do not eat the amount of fruits and veggies that I should.

I have a cousin who is a dietician and she drinks smoothies a lot that she makes at home. She is and always has been a very healthy eater. She has said many times, as have health experts and people in the medical field, that you should eat your fruit, not drink it meaning you are better off eating an orange than drinking a glass of orange juice. They do not mean you shouldn't have a healthy smoothie made with real fruits, etc.

Honored Contributor

On 1/22/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 1/21/2014 sidsmom said:

I remember years back when everything started to be made in low-fat versions because fat was the enemy. How has that worked out? People are fatter than ever from eating all this low fat food.

I've always advocated a low-fat WHOLE FOODS, PLANT BASED diet. Low fat processed is equally, if not worse, than a high fat icky processed item. All the processed low fat items had added sugar & ick. So I'll continue to promote a low-fat diet alas McDougall Diet...."the fat you eat is the fat you wear". People will fight this 'til the day ends because "People Like to Hear Good Things about Their Bad Habits".

People don't have a clue how many calories or fat they're consuming each day...so back "in the day", they consumed massive amount of calories & didn't move. To be healthy, you have to exercise your heart as well as eat right...Fat-kins was very popular, as well....who knows, maybe THAT'S why obesity continues, as well....

Super Contributor

My trick is, I don't substitute fruit smoothies for meals, I substitute them for dessert. Half a frozen banana, small handful of frozen berries, pour in some unsweetened almond milk, twirl for a minute in a baby Ninja or whatever you have, put it in a little bowl witha dash of cinnamon or nutmeg on top. Go crazy and add a sprinkle of ginger. Eat it with a spoon and it feels like a special treat.

Respected Contributor

If you prepare your own, they can be healthful. I've been known to make smoothies now and then, and never use half the things that are probably found in those made commercially.

What worries you masters you.