Honored Contributor

Re: Why are smoothies considered so healthy

On 1/20/2014 sidsmom said:

Well if you're ever in the hospital for any length of time, be sure & tell the doctor you don't need the IVs for glucose. Can't imagine every hospital on Earth is wrong. We need glucose. Human 101.

Been there & done that. There are other options besides glucose for IVs.

Respected Contributor

On 1/20/2014 willdob3 said:
On 1/20/2014 sidsmom said:

Well if you're ever in the hospital for any length of time, be sure & tell the doctor you don't need the IVs for glucose. Can't imagine every hospital on Earth is wrong. We need glucose. Human 101.

Been there & done that. There are other options besides glucose for IVs.

I second that one. Hospitals can't give glucose to diabetics. Hospitals give saline but not glucose unless the sugar is low and then it is orally. We need it because it is a quick burning carb for instant energy, thus a sugar high. We, as a species, only have fruits and carbs from veggies/grains in our diets for so long without sugar or its derivatives. When sugar became common among the upper classes, they carried it around in snuff boxes, fancy ones, that sniffed it like cocaine because of the instant high it gave. It still does if you don't have it in your diet like many non-secular groups choose to live more naturally. For those people that drop sugar in drinks and adding it to foods, then drop loads of weight have far too much of it in their diet to begin with. People that don't eat much refined sugars can't drop weight like that because we don't consume it on such a large scale as those who do. We do not need refined sugar and its derivatives to live, or our species would have died out ages ago, before the "invention" of sugar!

Honored Contributor

Huh? Some are, some aren't. It depends on what you put in your smoothie. Generally speaking, they have too much sugar for me. Plus, I'd rather eat my fruit, not drink it.

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2014 loveour4leggedfriends said:
On 1/19/2014 karmakat said:

It all depends on what you put in it and how much you drink.

Absolutely! I always make our own and it is extremely healthy. My DH only likes certain vegetables and fruits and there is no way we can eat all the fruits and vegies one is supposed to eat every single day. In a smoothie I put in Kale, Spinach, Carrots, Ginger, Apple, Unsweetened plain Almond milk, blueberries, strawberries, banana. Essentially whatever is in season. During the winter I use the frozen, organic blueberries and strawberries. I sometimes add a kiwi. I also use a little organic honey and Greek, non-fat plain yogurt (whew!!) I know this sounds like a lot but everything goes into my Blendtech and how could this not be healthy? We both love it.

Respected Contributor

I saw those Dole smoothies advertised and was wondering about the sugar.

Well, for my part, I make my own with more veggies than fruit - no sugar.

Respected Contributor

You can make your own quite healthy.

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2014 chrystaltree said:

Huh? Some are, some aren't. It depends on what you put in your smoothie. Generally speaking, they have too much sugar for me. Plus, I'd rather eat my fruit, not drink it.

me too crystal

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I'm not giving up fruit, PERIOD. This issue reminds me of my friend and her doctor. He told her to quit eating carrots because they are high carb. This friend loves carrots and weighs a good 350 lbs. Why deny her this one pleasure, and not mention the potato chips, pizza, etc., she also eats. Carrots are not her problem. I could choke him.

Super Contributor

I make my own & do not use sweetener. I drink one as a meal replacement every day & have lost weight very easily.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/20/2014 CLEM said:

I saw those Dole smoothies advertised and was wondering about the sugar.

Well, for my part, I make my own with more veggies than fruit - no sugar.

Its not the sugar in the shaker but its when you add the juice it makes it bad. I am going to take the suggestions here and make them myself with ice, yogurt and fruit.