Honored Contributor

Re: Why are smoothies considered so healthy

Regarding absorbing nutrients in liquid form better - As I understand it, (a relative who makes green vegetable smoothies as part of an anti-cancer treatment explained this to me) it is more than just in any liquid form.

The better absorption comes when using specific types of blenders, like Vitamix, that break up vegetables more completely and make the nutrients more available for absorption than when we eat them whole. We don't break them down as well when we chew them so a lot of the nutrients simply pass through our bodies unused.

Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2014 sidsmom said:

Hersey's Candy Bar = 210 Calories, 13 grams Fat. 13 times 9 divided by 210 = 55% FAT. How many blueberries must you eat to reach 55% fat? Bushels & bushels. People are so quick to make carbohydrate the Big, Mean Evil. Guys....it's the FAT. Fat is sloggy, disgusting, slows you down, slows your BLOOD down (I.e. high sugar readings are due to the fat in your food). Please, please, please go take a Nutrition Class. It's Idiocracy to have these myths perpetuate by implying a Hersey Candy Bar is better than a whole food, fruit drink.

Like the saying goes, "People Like to Hear Good Things About Their Bad Habits".

Humans will die without sufficient amounts of healthy fats. That is a scientific fact.

Humans can live and be healthy with no carbohydrates at all. We require only protein and fat. Also scientific fact.

Honored Contributor

No carbohydrates? Seriously? That's the craziest thing I ever heard. If you consume more whole food plant carbohydrates, you'll have more energy to move your body. You'll sleep better, your breath, sweat, poo...everything...will be sweeter smelling/tasting. You'll be less sore after exercising...you'll be able to move more each & every day without recovery. With the onset of the Olympics....those athletes consume MASSIVE amount of carbohydrates....we all should according to our energy requirements.

Don't know how scr3wed up our society has become to say it's a "scientific fact" we don't need carbohydrates. And by the way...ALL foods have fat & protein....even that head of lettuce. Go take a nutrition class...please.

Honored Contributor

GLUCOSE

noun

1. a simple sugar that is an important energy source in living organisms and is a component of many carbohydrates.

Respected Contributor

It is about whole foods, not processed junk posing as healthy foods. I have a nutribullet that zaps everything into a lovely mix. I don't need a Vitamix because of the size, but my little bullet does it great. I also juice, so I keep carrot juice in the fridge. If I add anything to my smoothies, it is fresh juiced fruits and veggies.

Esteemed Contributor

I make my own & don't add any sugar. It's the best way for me to eat veggies & fruits. It's the only way I can eat yogurt. It's my favorite way to eat bananas. Why wouldn't it be healthy?

Super Contributor

I'm surprised there was a comparison from the sugars in fruit to that of a candy bar. I think some may be forgetting the other nutrition that is in fruit and vegetables like antioxidants, fiber and vitamins. Granted, some people have other nutritional needs that may require them to watch their sugar intake more carefully than others. However, when I received my Vitamix, I "drank" more vegetables in a month than I probably have in my whole life. I don't like green vegetables but I obviously can certainly drink them. I try to choose fruit that has a lower sugar content to be more calorie conscious but I love how much nutrition I am getting.

Contributor
Honored Contributor

On 1/20/2014 sidsmom said:

GLUCOSE

noun

1. a simple sugar that is an important energy source in living organisms and is a component of many carbohydrates.

Our bodies can make what they need. No carbs necessary. It is basic biology.

Honored Contributor

Well if you're ever in the hospital for any length of time, be sure & tell the doctor you don't need the IVs for glucose. Can't imagine every hospital on Earth is wrong. We need glucose. Human 101.