Honored Contributor

I started to clean the refrigerator today. And once again I am bothered. Guess that is why I don't like doing it.

I found 4 bottles of cocktail sauce, 2 bottles of Blue Cheese dressing, 2 bottles of Thousand Island dressing, 2 bottles of Ranch dressing, 2 Dijon mustard, 2 bottles of brown spicy mustard, 2 bottles of dill mustard. And 3 packages of fresh dill. I did not do the top shelf.

I thought I was preventing these duplicates. Last week someone went to open another jar of spaghetti sauce. I said there were 2 open in the refrigerator. I got both bottles out for them. But it seems like anytime other people than me cook, they always have to open a new bottle of something, rather than look in the refrigerator. 

Wonder what awaits me on the top shelf. I know there are several bottles of salad dressing. I try and organize similar things together but that doesn't last long.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why am I always surprised?

@drizzellla , how many people are cooking in your house?  I'd be irritated to say the least.

Regular Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I started to clean the refrigerator today. And once again I am bothered. Guess that is why I don't like doing it.

I found 4 bottles of cocktail sauce, 2 bottles of Blue Cheese dressing, 2 bottles of Thousand Island dressing, 2 bottles of Ranch dressing, 2 Dijon mustard, 2 bottles of brown spicy mustard, 2 bottles of dill mustard. And 3 packages of fresh dill. I did not do the top shelf.

I thought I was preventing these duplicates. Last week someone went to open another jar of spaghetti sauce. I said there were 2 open in the refrigerator. I got both bottles out for them. But it seems like anytime other people than me cook, they always have to open a new bottle of something, rather than look in the refrigerator. 

Wonder what awaits me on the top shelf. I know there are several bottles of salad dressing. I try and organize similar things together but that doesn't last long.

@drizzellla wrote:

Sounds like me.. and I do know why. If I bought something, and had it for a few weeks or so and I see a recipe I want to make that calls for that something, I feel better getting a fresh one. And this is one reason I have duplicates of things. Now the pantry is a whole different story.. I clean that and in what seems like no time. its messy again. Between dog and cat food and treats and husbands sugar free things, it doesn't take long for it to get a mess.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla There are only 3 at our house, so this doesn't usually happen in our refrigerator. However, the spice cabinet - now that's a different story. And, I'm the only one buying the spices. I've got 2 jars of ground mustard, 3 jars of cumin seeds (including one big one from Costco!), and numerous jars of garlic powder. I could go on and on. I think we both need some sort of inventory list. Maybe Alexa can help with that, but then we would have to check it...hahaha!

Respected Contributor

You go girl.  Find any money?  My aunt used to hide cash in her freezer.

Honored Contributor

Well, I live alone (with 2 cats) so I don't have anyone to blame.

I always have several bottles of just about every condiment (the usual ones).

I get tired of looking for something, so I just get another one.  

Eventually, they'll work their way up to the front and THEN I'll throw them/it away.

Respected Contributor

Since I am the only cook in my home then I am the guilty party. My biggest issue is mayonnaise and salad dressing. I have a system now that every Tuesday is trash day so that's when I inventory the refrigerator and consolidate and toss out those empty containers. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tobes wrote:

You go girl.  Find any money?  My aunt used to hide cash in her freezer.

so did my nana!!

Trusted Contributor

Maybe you could think of it al this way: I’m lucky to have electricity and a frig and food to put in it.

Just sayin’.

Respected Contributor

I have a lifetime supply of peppercorns in my pantry!