Honored Contributor

Re: Why Were SO Many Gelatin Dishes Popular In The 40's and 50's?

@ECBG    Back in the 50s, before TV soaps and QVC, women spent an inordinate amount of time at afternoon ladies' card parties.  We got a steady stream of gelatin recipes that grandma picked up from her bridge club buddies.  They were mainstays of the card party crowd.  I think that was one reason for their popularity.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG    Back in the 50s, before TV soaps and QVC, women spent an inordinate amount of time at afternoon ladies' card parties.  We got a steady stream of gelatin recipes that grandma picked up from her bridge club buddies.  They were mainstays of the card party crowd.  I think that was one reason for their popularity.

@Kachina624  My Mom,Grandma's or aunt's never spent time at ladies card parties. We didn't live that kind of life. Perhaps that is why all I remember is plain Jell-O.

Trusted Contributor

I wondered this too as I put my Tupperware Jello mold into the bin for donations yesterday. Cleaning out cabinets and ran across it. I honestly don't remember the last time I made Jello in it.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   My grandma was a passionate bridge player but there was nothing hoity toity about her.  She was an educated woman, a teacher, but grandpa was a railroad engineer.  He ran steam engines across the wilds of SW Colorado and Utah. 

Honored Contributor

it also seemed to be  a weekly dessert on grade school lunch menus.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Jello was quite popular when I was a kid.  My Mom made it with fruit cocktail a lot.  She never did any "molds" though.  I was married in late 60's and I had a lot of recipes.  For family gatherings I was always asked to bring a gelatin salad.  Had many good recipes.  Some of the men didn't like gelatin salads as much as the ladies did.  Lately I've been making jello once in a while.  I always put fruit cocktail in it and whipped cream/Cool Whip on top of my servings.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@sunshine45    My ma and my grandma both made that stained glass cake.    Actually, it's quite a process with the different  jellos, and all the gelatinized whipped cream.

my mom called it Jewel Cake....and i remember her making the jello in ice cube trays....it was so good!

Respected Contributor

@DAD wrote:

I still make one that is not a mold. It has crushed pineapple, cottage cheese, cool whip, lime jello & pistachio jello in it. Most of my family really like it! We call it Aunt Betty's pistachio salad. 

This made me smile!  My aunts all made what sounds very similar to this....it was always served at family bridal and baby showers.  My Grandma named it "Fatty Salad" LOL.   It was a favorite in our family!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   My grandma was a passionate bridge player but there was nothing hoity toity about her.  She was an educated woman, a teacher, but grandpa was a railroad engineer.  He ran steam engines across the wilds of SW Colorado and Utah. 

@Kachina624  My Uncle was a railroad engineer. Whenever he and my aunt traveled they had to go by railroad as he refused to fly. So they traveled the country by train when he retired. One of his sons took after him and also became an engineer.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   If your relatives were like mine, they didn't fly because they got free railroad passes.  Grandma took my sister and me on a trip on the California Zephyr with free passes when we were young.