Honored Contributor

Re: Why Were SO Many Gelatin Dishes Popular In The 40's and 50's?

I don't nomally hate foods, but Aspic is the most hidious food ever created.  For those that don't know.  It's Fish cooked in Gelatin....

Pin on I Just Threw Up A Little In My Mouth

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45    My ma and my grandma both made that stained glass cake.    Actually, it's quite a process with the different  jellos, and all the gelatinized whipped cream.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird  WOW!!!!!!  No thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  It's pretty revolting to look at, not so much to actually....eat.  In the U.S. we don't see the fish looking coyly at us while we eat it.  Not so in Europe.  The like that head on the fish.  The Gelatin makes it SO much more.....well as you can see.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I don't nomally hate foods, but Aspic is the most hidious food ever created.  For those that don't know.  It's Fish cooked in Gelatin....

Pin on I Just Threw Up A Little In My Mouth

@songbird    I recall a LOT of holiday buffets with THAT FISH

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Jello was an easy dessert at our house; we probably had it weekly.   Jell-O with cool whip was fine, but our favorite dessert was cherry jello with sliced bananas, fruit cocktail and cut up pieces of toasted marshmallows.   Mom used one specific bowl for that Jell-O dessert, so if we saw that in refrigerator, we were happy and could hardly wait to eat it!   

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up on jello! Good grief, there wasn't a family holiday meal without several sweet jello salads/desserts. I still frequently make a bowl of raspberry, strawberry or lime jello and squirt a dollop of Redi-Whip on it. I have to say, though, I'd never ever consider either making or eating jello with meat of fish encased in it! LOL - turns my tummy!

Respected Contributor

My mother made Jello a lot when I was a kid.  She never put anything in it though.  We just ate it with either whipped cream or cool whip.

She also made lots of pudding.  She either made chocolate or butterscotch pudding.  It was always cooked pudding, never instant.   I remember my job was to put the plastic wrap on top of each little dish so the pudding never developed a skin.  She also made tapioca, which I never liked.  

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I grew up on jello! Good grief, there wasn't a family holiday meal without several sweet jello salads/desserts. I still frequently make a bowl of raspberry, strawberry or lime jello and squirt a dollop of Redi-Whip on it. I have to say, though, I'd never ever consider either making or eating jello with meat of fish encased in it! LOL - turns my tummy!

Exactly.  I love Jello with fruit in it.  It looks great on fruit.  Just not so good on meat (especially sea food or fish....yuk)   It was in Italy.  I refused to eat it.  Another food that made me sick was Marzipan.  It's too sweet for me to eat.  Sometimes sweet is too sweet.

Honored Contributor

Quick, easy and those tiny baby boomers liked it. Perfect for moms in the 50's who had to adhere to a budget because only dad was the bread winner (generally speaking).