Honored Contributor

Why Were SO Many Gelatin Dishes Popular In The 40's and 50's?

Why Were There So Many Gelatin-Based Dishes in the 1950s and 60s?

Did people really enjoy eating food encased in wobbly, transparent gelatin?

A cookbook actually describes this dish as "a new and deliciously different twist for a popular stand-by — green salad is molded for added pleasure."

Look through any of the most popular and trendy cookbooks of the 1950s and 1960s and you’ll encounter a disheartening trend, one that thankfully has faded into obscurity: dishes that were encased in savory molded gelatin or aspic. These are some of the most bizarre dishes that have ever been created, and we can’t imagine that they tasted particularly appetizing. What gives? Why were these dishes so popular?

Dishes encased in gelatin, which ranged from everything from a vegetable- and sugar-laden concoction called “Perfection Salad” (which was actually a pretty popular dish by the time the 50s rolled around) to one that had lamb chops submerged in it, didn’t actually go out of style until the 1970s, when Jell-O molds (occasionally called “gel cookery”) finally gave way to dishes that people would actually eat. But when they first gained popularity, there were in fact a few reasons why a home cook might have wanted to serve them.

One, in the early 1950s refrigerators were still quite expensive, and gelatin needs refrigeration in order to set. So in a way, preparing a Jell-O mold was something of a status symbol. Also, it’s worth noting that gelatin molds date back to the 1700s, when elaborate molds and gelatin (which was quite expensive) were seen as a way to showcase wealth, so this notion was nothing new.

Two, molds were so popular, and featured in so many cookbooks, that many home cooks simply accepted that they were a desirable thing to make. They also were relatively fun to prepare, and were an inexpensive way to make a main dish by using primarily canned goods and leftovers.

Three, postwar domesticity was largely wrapped up in modern technology and the efficiency, order, and cleanliness it offered. Gelatin molds were decidedly neat and tidy and mess-free, economical, and efficient. In being controlled yet elegant in their own way, gelatin molds were completely in tune with the era. (For more details along these lines, Serious Eats has a great history.)

Related

So yes, Jell-O molds are a bizarre relic of a time long ago. But they were also completely of their era, and once you have an idea of the values and mores of that era it’s easy to see how they filled a niche. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Were SO Many Gelatin Dishes Popular In The 40's and 50's?

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness my mother never cooked with gelatin.  We ate real food in our home. She never followed the food trends.

Valued Contributor

I still make one that is not a mold. It has crushed pineapple, cottage cheese, cool whip, lime jello & pistachio jello in it. Most of my family really like it! We call it Aunt Betty's pistachio salad. 

Honored Contributor

i only like sweet gelatin.....for desserts.

i am sure it was inexpensive (it is now), easy to prepare, and looked pretty.

my mom used to make a stained glass gelatin cake that was as good as it looked! i have to make it one of these days.

stained glass jello cake.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@DAD wrote:

I still make one that is not a mold. It has crushed pineapple, cottage cheese, cool whip, lime jello & pistachio jello in it. Most of my family really like it! We call it Aunt Betty's pistachio salad. 

@DAD    I haven't made it lately but I have a version of the same thing made with orange Jello and Mandarin oranges.  I could throw it together in 5 minutes to take to a pot luck lunch at work.  People loved it; I always brought an empty bowl home.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

How funny, before I sat down to check my e-mails I put a bowl of black cherry jello in the refrigerator!  I enjoy cherry, raspberry, strawberry, black cherry jellos and I always put a dollop of whip cream on top!

My mother made jello with fruit inside, she would add bananas often and it was always good!  I still buy jello once in awhile and always enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i only like sweet gelatin.....for desserts.

i am sure it was inexpensive (it is now), easy to prepare, and looked pretty.

my mom used to make a stained glass gelatin cake that was as good as it looked! i have to make it one of these days.

stained glass jello cake.jpg

my mom used to make this!  

Super Contributor

@Kachina624

I have made a similar one with mashed apricots & crushed pineapple that also has a cooked topping to which you add whipped cream.  Yum.....

Honored Contributor

@DAD wrote:

@DAD   My mother used to make that.  I loved it.  I still do like Jello dishes, but I never make them.  

We often have strawberry pretzel salad at Thanksgiving or Christmas though.  It's strawberry Jello with frozen strawberries, crushed pretzels on the bottom and cream cheese on top.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau