Honored Contributor

Re: Why Were SO Many Gelatin Dishes Popular In The 40's and 50's?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   If your relatives were like mine, they didn't fly because they got free railroad passes.  Grandma took my sister and me on a trip on the California Zephyr with free passes when we were young.

@Kachina624  Oh yes they had free passes, but Aunt didn't want to take the time. As soon as Uncle died she started flying to vacation spots. 

That must have been fun with your Grandma. So fun to take train rides as a kid. My husband wants to go on that train. He watches Mighty Trains on tv and keeps saying we are going on one of those trains.

I worked for the airlines for many years and flew all over with free passes. Now I would prefer to relax and take the train.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624My mother's mom lived across the driveway.  I remember being over there during bridge parties.  I remember delicious chicken salad.

I DO remember that grandmother watching "The Guiding Light" and "As The World Turns" and it was the 50's.

I didn't get jello salads until I was going into my freshman year of high school at 14.

Trusted Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I wondered this too as I put my Tupperware Jello mold into the bin for donations yesterday. Cleaning out cabinets and ran across it. I honestly don't remember the last time I made Jello in it.

That's funny that you put your Jello mold into the donation bin...

I picked one up at a craft fair last year during the holidays from a woman who was selling Tupperware. I had always wanted one, and it was on sale. Smiley Happy

I thought that it would be fun to have, as my husband and I both like Jello/Jello desserts. 

Honored Contributor

If there is any possible way to make Jello worse, it's to put bananas in it.  IMO, of course.

I won't even pretend to understand that disgusting fish thing laying on the platter.  Is it fish or Jello?

Disgusted Emoticon Doing A Vomit Gesture By Potting Two Fingers ...

(I know; real mature, faerie.)

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Thank goodness my mother never cooked with gelatin.  We ate real food in our home. She never followed the food trends.

@Carmie I think in times soon to come people will be saying that about a lot of the most popular things we consume now.  Don't you?  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   My grandma was a passionate bridge player but there was nothing hoity toity about her.  She was an educated woman, a teacher, but grandpa was a railroad engineer.  He ran steam engines across the wilds of SW Colorado and Utah. 

@Kachina624 My grandmother and her family was dirt poor in Arkansas.  I mean POOR!  She also was not educated on a formal basis.  She was orphaned at an early age too, so that didn't help.  She hired out as farm labor when there was work available.  

That family lived a very hardscrabble life, but their kids did will.  How I do not know.   

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I don't nomally hate foods, but Aspic is the most hidious food ever created.  For those that don't know.  It's Fish cooked in Gelatin....

Pin on I Just Threw Up A Little In My Mouth

@songbird LOL!!!  Here's lookin' at 'ya kid!  Not all aspic has fish or meat in it!  Woman Tongue  How about tomato aspic?  

Actually, having the fish head was considered quite the thing at one time as evidence that the treat was fresh and good.  I have seen it done, on tv, in China and some other place around the world.

I remember it was popular at one time here to serve trout whole, and lobster is best whole I think. 

Respected Contributor

Mom always used to make cherry jello with canned mixed fruit in it.

I loved it.  Then I went away to college...........

Cherry jello with fruit was on the salad table every single freakin' day.  I had too many other interesting food choices (the food service was excellent at that school) that I got tired of looking at that darn jello.  Then.................

I went home for Thanksgiving.  Mom fixed my "favorite" dish thinking it would be a treat.

UGH.........could barely eat it just to be polite.  Certainly proved that people can outgrow their love for certain foods.  Haven't touched jello since then.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I don't nomally hate foods, but Aspic is the most hidious food ever created.  For those that don't know.  It's Fish cooked in Gelatin....

Pin on I Just Threw Up A Little In My Mouth

@songbird LOL!!!  Here's lookin' at 'ya kid!  Not all aspic has fish or meat in it!  Woman Tongue  How about tomato aspic?  

Actually, having the fish head was considered quite the thing at one time as evidence that the treat was fresh and good.  I have seen it done, on tv, in China and some other place around the world.

I remember it was popular at one time here to serve trout whole, and lobster is best whole I think. 

Whole fish is the standard way to serve throughout Europe.  I ate it when I lived there.  Traditionally the head is not eaten, but in Asia, the entire head of an animal is eaten.  I just hated the Aspic version of fish. I don't know why in the U.S., it's served minus the head.  I don't eat pork, but I could see not wanting to eat the young pig roasted with raisins in it's eyes, etc. Thank goodness they don't roast the eyes.

Whole Roast Suckling Pig