Honored Contributor

Why Shake the Milk?

[ Edited ]

Out of frustration with milk going bad so quickly and the "mainstream" milk at my grocery having expiration dates within 2 days of the purchase date I deided to try Promised Land whole milk.  It cost more, but the expiration date was further out which was really what was important to me.  I noticed on the lid it said Shake Well.  The mainstream milk doesn't say to shake it (or it's not prominently labeled to do so).  It's ultra pasturized vs the other which is simply pasturized.  Anybody know why the need to shake it?  I remember having to stir milk at my grandparents' house, but that was milk straight from the cow.  In fact, he sold his milk to a company that pasturized and sold it.  

I'm not concerned about the controversy over the nutritional value of raw vs pasturized vs ultra pasturized.  I don't drink milk.  I only use it in cereal and for cooking purposes.  I do use all whole fat dairy products because I consider them to be better than their low fat counterpart as far as cholesterol is concerned, but I have also found that whole milk lasts longer than the low fat versions. 

Edited to change brand name from Fairlife to Promised Land.

Respected Contributor

That milk has extra protein in it, maybe it needs a shake to stay in suspension and be evenly distributed.  Perhaps it settles a bit.

Super Contributor

I don't know the answer to your question but , if you want the longest date life, buy only  organic milk. It goes on for a couple of weeks.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Out of frustration with milk going bad so quickly and the "mainstream" milk at my grocery having expiration dates within 2 days of the purchase date I deided to try Fairlife's whole milk.  It cost more, but the expiration date was further out which was really what was important to me.  I noticed on the lid it said Shake Well.  The mainstream milk doesn't say to shake it (or it's not prominently labeled to do so).  It's ultra pasturized vs the other which is simply pasturized.  Anybody know why the need to shake it?  I remember having to stir milk at my grandparents' house, but that was milk straight from the cow.  In fact, he sold his milk to a company that pasturized and sold it.  

I'm not concerned about the controversy over the nutritional value of raw vs pasturized vs ultra pasturized.  I don't drink milk.  I only use it in cereal and for cooking purposes.  I do use all whole fat dairy products because I consider them to be better than their low fat counterpart as far as cholesterol is concerned, but I have also found that whole milk lasts longer than the low fat versions. 

@Icegoddess   Fairlife Whole Milk is what I always buy, it’s the best.  I just looked at my bottle and don’t see shaking instructions anywhere on the bottle or the lid. Did you, by chance, get the one with added DHA?  That might be why shaking is needed, in case the DHA separates from the actual milk.  

Respected Contributor

Call Fairlife and ask them.  They must have a contact phone number or website on the package.

I buy the lactose free milk.  It has a very long use by date and stays fresh in the fridge for a long time after opening.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I find that my no-fat skim milk lasts much longer than whole milk.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch Oops, I stand corrected.  It's Promised Land, not FairLife.  That's what I get for going by my terrible memory.  I will edit my original post.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch I was going to try Fairlife, but I couldn't find any whole milk in the store.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch I was going to try Fairlife, but I couldn't find any whole milk in the store.

I love it!  I’m following the keto way of eating these days.  Milk isn’t usually ok for keto but since Fairlife is low in carbs, if I have room in my daily macros I’ll have a small glass once in awhile.  It stays fresh for a long time. 

Honored Contributor

DH shakes the milk to mix in the cream.  There hasn't been cream on top of milk for 50 years.  Occasionally I've been known to leave tops loose because of arthritis in my hands, and you can see how this ends.  Me in trouble again.