Trusted Contributor

Re: Why Do We Get Insane Over Popcorn???

It smells and tastes so good! My favorite is dripping with (substitute) butter and lots of salt or the caramel. Rarely do I have it though, because of my extensive dental work.

Respected Contributor

Popcorn was my favorite snack until a hull got lodged in my gums. It irritated and hurt my gums. I had a hard time removing it and it took a while for my gums to heal.

I stopped eating popcorn after that.  I still miss it.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe the smell is 10 times better than the actual taste of popcorn.  However, I still love the taste of it too.  I don't make it at home anymore nor do I buy it at a movie theater.  I tend to buy the already popped flavored corn now....although that's really more about the flavorings than the popcorn, itself.  Caramel and White Cheddar are my favs!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker   I couldn't agree more about "smells" being better than "taste" sometimes.  I feel that way about tea.  Taste is fine, but the smell of a teabag is heaven!

Valued Contributor

I am not a big eater of popcorn but once in a while I microwave some.  I always buy the smallest bags possible because I don't want to have to eat a big bowl of it.   I always melt my own butter and add some salt.

Respected Contributor

I almost always have a bag of either Smart Pop white cheddar or the kettle popcorn in the purple bag I buy at Costco (can't remember what it's called) around the house.  I never pop my own anymore.

And, while popped popcorn smells wonderful, there is nothing worse than the smell of burned microwave popcorn!  Once in a while someone will burn it at work and the smell permeates the entire office for the rest of the day! 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I remember a thousand yrs ago when we kids were sick,

Mom would fix us toast & popcorn w/ ginger ale.

To this day, if I’m feeling oogy or under the weather,

my comfort food is popcorn. 

Weird?

@sidsmom Not wierd at all!  Many foods and smells give us comfort we experienced as a child as we are transported.  The same with music.  A song can put you mentally at another time.

Honored Contributor

@giddy up wrote:

I am not a big eater of popcorn but once in a while I microwave some.  I always buy the smallest bags possible because I don't want to have to eat a big bowl of it.   I always melt my own butter and add some salt.

@giddy up You and I fix popcorn the same.  DH fixed some the other night and it just had salt on it.  I hadn't had any in eons, so of course, my little custard cup was yummy!

Trusted Contributor

@LIndaMJ wrote:

It smells and tastes so good! My favorite is dripping with (substitute) butter and lots of salt or the caramel. Rarely do I have it though, because of my extensive dental work.

@LIndaMJ  - I can sympathize!   I gave it up when my popcorn cost me $1000 because I had to get a crown.

Super Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Junker2327 wrote:

I could not live without my weekly dose of popcorn with butter on it.

Beckyblu

Enjoy butter while you can day will come when you'll be told "butter is out" either switch to 'I can't believe it's not butter' or go without for the betterment of your cholesterol level. 

Eat it in moderation. There is NOTHING worse for you than margarine.