Honored Contributor

A few weeks ago Amazon had a special deal on Great River Organic Milling Whole Wheat Bread Flour with a reported protein count of 14%. That's right up there with "normal" bread flour, so I bought it. (4-5 lb bags for a total of 20 pounds for $14+ at the time, now much, much pricier. At less than $4 a bag it was cheaper than bread flour at my Walmart.) 

I'm making my first loaf of bread with it today. With that much protein, I'm trying a straight-up one-to-one substitution for regular bread flour. Typically with whole wheat flour, you need some stronger regular flour to get the gluten development you need. If they're right about the protein count, I may be able to go all whole wheat. 

The flour feels good. Most whole wheat flour tends to feel grittier than normal flour, but this is a nice fine, even grind. It mixed up well and kneaded well. It's in the first rise now. So far, so good. I'd never seen whole wheat flour advertised as a bread flour before, so this is something new to me. 

I'm using Charles Van Over's "Best Bread Ever" recipe for it as it's a recipe I use often and know how it should perform. I'll see how it performs with this whole wheat bread flour. So far it seems identical to typical bread flour, so if I can get the added nutritional value of whole wheat without any sacrifices this could be a pretty good flour to play with. It looks like whole wheat flour, but so far anyway, is behaving like typical bread flour. I'll see how it does on the second rise, and baking.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Whole wheat bread flour?

@gardenman   You must be a skilled bread baker.  You certainly got that flour for an excellent price.  

I am rooting for your success.  I will be very interested in your results with this as my Significant Other is the pizza, rolls, and bread baker in the house.  

I've been tempted for many years to buy a bread machines but never have followed through.

Best wishes,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Does the flour have added gluten listed on the lable?  It would have to have that or higher protein flour mixed in to make bread.

Honored Contributor

I'll be interested in your results. I know nothing about flour and protein content, but the reason I don't care for whole wheat bread is because it is so dense.  I like a brown loaf but I can't eat it, at least for sandwiches, if it's dense.

Respected Contributor

@gardenman 

There are plenty of recipes for this flour on the website for Great River

Milling.    

There's also a bread recipe for whole wheat bread utllizing 7 cups of flour so your 20#'s isn't going to last you too long with making loaves of bread.

The picture shown really looks good, it's not a dense bread at all.

Enjoy...I love making bread although more into sweet doughs.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It came it pretty good. A bit denser than normal, but not bad. Good flavor, a good rise. Not bad.  Here's a photo of the finished loaves.

IMG_20210710_110703579.jpg

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman   Thanks for sharing your adventure....nothing like a slice of fresh baked bread and jam!

Respected Contributor

@gardenman 

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

Looks pretty good. All the 100% wheat bread we have made is too heavy. We like it better when mixed with some bread flour. 

Here's a recipe for those little loaves of bread Outback serves. A fellow poster posted this years ago. It's really good. It uses some wheat flour.

When we made this we made the smaller loaves like they have at Outback. Need to make some more. Yum!

Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread for Bread Machine

1 1/4 cups warm black coffee (90-F - 100-F)
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp brown sugar or dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened or melted
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp table salt
2 cups Bread Flour
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 1/4 tsp Bread Machine or Instant Yeast

Regular White Bread Cycle; 2 lb loaf; Medium crust.

Add ingredients to bread machine in order listed.

Set Bread machine to Regular White Bread Cycle; 2 lb loaf; Medium crust.

Press start.

Check the dough after about 5-minutes of kneading and add water or flour as needed, a tablespoon at a time, to form a smooth, non-sticky ball of dough.
It should hold its own shape but not be so dry that it is crumbly.

When done, remove from pan and allow to cool before slicing.

Makes one 2-pound loaf of Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread

Honey Butter

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup honey

Beat butter and honey together until creamy.
Serve at room temperature.

hyeit54/Q

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz thanks for the recipe.  I love that bread, but we rarely eat there.