Respected Contributor

Re: Who has Samsung Appliances?

We have a Samsung French door refrigerator/bottom mount freezer that’s about 7 years old. We decided against connecting the ice maker. I chose it because I wanted a smaller French door fridge for our galley kitchen and this was the best bet. It has worked pretty well during that time, although the condenser can get noisy at times. Ours is white and the paint on the French door handles has worn off. Also, the first week we had it, the freezer handle came off on one side and had to be replaced. For the past year or so, the condensate line has frozen, causing some water to go into the bottom vegetable bins. This eventually freezes and requires clearing out. I’m going to check on the recall a previous poster mentioned.  Lately, we need to reset it if the house power goes out (push Power Freeze and Power Cool buttons simultaneously until the temperature numbers reappear). Generally, we’ve been happy with it. It does a good job keeping food cold and frozen. Once a repairman mentioned that most service companies won’t touch Samsung appliances that are still under warranty because of problems getting reimbursed. I’m really hoping we don’t have any serious problems with it because it just barely fit into our kitchen when we got it and finding a good replacement would be difficult. 

Regular Contributor

Samsung, well! We had a fridge freezer which was nearly seven years old and, well cared for I may say (clean, filters changed, etc.).  It started to feel aired instead of cold so we called out Samsung repairs. The man came, looked at it and then said not his job, the internal unit had a problem so he would not touch it!!!! We then had to call Samsung again (the repair man was not allowed to do it) and they said they would get back to us!  Long story short and after MANY calls to Samsung they said the fridge freezer was too old, out of its five year warranty and would not repair it!!!  We need a counter depth appliance so it cost us $1800 to replace it. They also get you with the extended warranties which are so expensive. We definitely had a bad experience but our Samsung TV's have been great. I think appliances are just not made well anymore and the sealed units are "too much trouble" for anyone to repair. Good luck with yours. 

Trusted Contributor

About five years ago, we gutted our kitchen and started over. We have a Samsung French 4-door fridge. I couldn't be happier with the fridge. So far, it's been working well and we have no complaints.

I think that, no matter what brand you buy, there are people who aren't happy with it. It doesn't matter what it is, somebody has had a problem. 

Appliances aren't built to last anymore. Everything's made of plastic these days and, let's face it, if you have a fridge that's going to last 20 years, that means that you're not buying a new one. And companies want you to buy, buy, buy. Things today are made to be disposable.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

The ice maker is awful. Freezes up into a big block if not used daily. Replaced the ice maker after two service calls. Expensive repairs. Would never buy again. 

Regular Contributor

That's the same refrigerator we have.  I LOVE that extra drawer.  We use it for all of our sandwich/butter/cream cheese stuff.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Appliances aren't built to last anymore. Everything's made of plastic these days and, let's face it, if you have a fridge that's going to last 20 years, that means that you're not buying a new one. And companies want you to buy, buy, buy. Things today are made to be disposable.

Ain't that the truth.  When we got ours, the delivery person mentioned for us not to expect it to last 20+ years like the last one.  He wasn't talking about the brand, just new appliances in general.

I have Whirlpool Duet washer & dryer.  I've had to change out the knob on the dryer (which I was able to find online) and also the motherboard (which I found online after the repairman replaced it).  These things are made to be put together, but not taken apart to service, so I had to help the serviceman take the front panel off.  Now I know how to replace the motherboard as long as I have help getting that panel off.

Honored Contributor

I had GE appliances for 20 years and now have had Kenmore appliances for 5 years. They are not highly rated brands, but I have never had any problems. I hope OP is pleased with her new Samsung appliances and that they serve her well for a long time. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Samsung Washer and Dryer set that I'm very pleased with.  As long as the appliance has a warranty and it fits the space and the budget then I don't take a salesperson's snarky remark as anything more than that. Who knows, maybe the commission is less on certain brands. Poor sales manners. 

Valued Contributor

We are about to start a major addition/remodel and I have begun looking at appliances.  It has been suggested to me to  NOT buy Samsung or LP because of the lack of repair people for these brands in our area..  I am going to take their advice.  

Honored Contributor

I'd be very leery of buying a Samsung appliance.  A relative of mine bought a Samsung French door refrigerator about a year and a half ago.  A couple of weeks ago she told me the ice maker decided to quit working.  It took several calls to Samsung's CS for them to finally schedule a service appointment.  They were charged $129 for the certified technician to tell them there was a design flaw and the entire ice making system would cost about $800 bucks to replace, and even after that probably wouldn't last more than a couple of years.  Here's the kicker - my relative noticed some ice buildup on the ice making unit.  She decided to try using her blow dryer to get rid of it, warming it up enough to loosen the ice so she could pull it off in pieces.  She towel dried everything too.  Lo and behold, the next morning she had plenty of ice.  SMH