Honored Contributor

Re: Who Was The Best Cook When You Were Growing Up?

Nobody. My Mom wasn't a great cook, I'm not a great cook, the tradition continues....

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

my mom--then my sister-in-law when I got married

Valued Contributor

My mother was both a good cook and a not so good cook.

Her complete Thanksgiving meal was out of this world.  As was her fried chicken, veal sweatbreads, and crab cakes.

However, ANYTHING that had pasta or vegetables was always so overcooked, they were unrecognizable.   

What I wouldn't give to have some of her mushy broccoli - miss her very much. 

Esteemed Contributor

Worst cook ...my mother. Still is worst cook, who doesn't know it.

Best cook ... my paternal grandfather was the best cook and my maternal grandfather was the best baker.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

we had no grandparents and no relatives. so my Mom was the cook. a lot of liver and cube steaks and overcooked chicken. basically the same meals over and over. Thanksgiving -  the Turkey stuffing was made with liver from the giblets.

to this day, when i cook something and take my time preparing the meal, she never has a kind word for me, even though i know it came out great

her desserts and cakes were wonderful and christmas cookies, real butter always. but she used to burn the oatmeal choco chip cookies.

it was when i was off and married that i learned to cook pretty darn well and bake the best choc chip cookies!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@meallen616 wrote:

All of them in my total Italian family!

Welcome November Good Morning

@meallen616 I had to laugh when I saw this because I come from an Italian family too, so I thought...well, because, "Italian"...so, of course it was your "total family!" Lol Smiley Wink 🍝#foodislove❤️ Everyone, aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas...all cooked. And of course...the garden. I miss them all.

Honored Contributor

My great aunt, who cooked as if every day was a holiday.  Her breakfast had more items than most people's dinner.  Unfortunately she lived 175 miles away.

Respected Contributor

My grandma. She made the best food ever. Holidays always included her famous pickled peaches. I have her recipe & sent some to my brothers. They were so happy to have them. Brought back lots of memories.