Honored Contributor

Re: Who Was The Best Cook When You Were Growing Up?

My father.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

Who was she?  Why do you assume it would be a woman?  My father was an excellent cook.  He would recreate dishes that he had in upscale restaurants.  My mother was a SAHM so she cooked every weeknight but dad took over on the weekends.

@ninjawife  My father in law was the best cook I've ever known. He could throw anything together in a pinch and made homemade candy that was very difficult to make etc.

Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother!! She was the best cook. I miss so many of the meals that she use to make for us. For the most part I was raised by her so I was able to enjoy her food frequently. 

My favorite dish was definitely her Chicken curry Caribbean style. She was not from this country so we grew up eating a mix of dishes from  Trinidad & Tobago and her twist on American dishes. 

It was just plain ole yummmmyyyyyy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's a hard ? I was surrounded by excellent cooks.

My italian grandmother taught me how to bake bread, fresh pasta, canning and of course all the good italian pastries and goodies.

My hungarian grandmother taught me how to make great comfort foods like stuffed cabbage, meatloaf with the best gravy, fried chicken and pork dishes, she made great pot roast.

My mother and all my aunts were great cooks.  Back then we rarely ate out since we spent many nights eating at our relatives.

I love to entertain, cook and bake I get that from them😊 All my cousins and kids are the same. My boys are excellent cooks thank goodness because their spouses aren't 😉

@ECBG 

Trusted Contributor

My maternal Italian grandma and my dad.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

What a wonderful story!  

I'm curious.  Can you describe the meatloaf gravy?  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Pan drippings fat separated and then poured into "roux" of butter & flour.

My grandmother always put her meatloaf (and so do I) on a "bed" of onions and carrots to mix with the drippings to flavor her gravy.  The gravy is always delicious 🙂

I even do this when I roast other meats.

Honored Contributor

My mom. She didn't know how to cook when she was married. Her first landlady was Italian, so Mom made excellent Italian food - and other things. My aunt made incredible food too. We went to see them usually twice a year, and I stayed with her and my uncle for a week during the summer once in a while when I was younger. 

My one grandmother couldn't cook; the other one made only one dish well. I don't remember my dad EVER cooking!   Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

My mom. She was the second oldest of 12 kids and she had to help out in the kitchen a lot. Oddly enough, she never tried to get me to help cook and I was never interested in anything but baking. She moved more than 100 miles away the year after I moved out and got married so I eventually learned on my own. I'm a good cook but I wish I'd paid more attention to how she did things when I was growing up. My grandma was a good cook too but I think there was something about their water that made everything taste a bit off. It never tasted quite right. My mom definitely was the better cook. She made everything seem so effortless.

Honored Contributor

My mother.  There were no grandparents in my life.  My mother could out perform  everyone.

My friends would love to stay for meals and would rave about the food.  I never appreciated it because we never ate out or anywhere else. It was just plain old home cooking to me.

As I got older and ate at other's homes or at restaurants....oh boy, did I get an education.  I appreciated it then.

My parents owned a restaurant...my mother cooked there too.  She was the best cook I have ever known....my DH and friends agree. My mother passed 41 years ago and people often mention to me that miss my mother's cooking.

I, and all my siblings cook too. We learned from the best.