Trusted Contributor

Re: Who Needs Paula Deen When There's The Pioneer Woman

On 7/19/2014 clista said:

I adore Pioneer Woman. I read her bio, "Tractor Wheels and Black Heels". She has great recipes. great personality. My famiy were farmers and ranchers. My husband asked one of my uncles how many cattle he had. When My uncle said, I don't really know, probably around 20,000, My husband didn't recover for about an hour. It is very hard work.

I get her daily email and her show is something I record to watch every week. Takes me back to my home state of Oklahoma and times I spent on my grandparent's farm when I was growing up. Ree is down to earth and I also read her book "Tractor Wheels and Black Heels" which tells about her growing up in Oklahoma and meeting and falling in love with her husband. She's a great writer with lots of humor. Big fan here!

Super Contributor

On 7/19/2014 puggirl said: Her clothes need to be updated. What's the deal with the lodge? That's not where they live.

Actually, she blogged that she gets a lot of her tops from Soft Surroundings, which is an expensive store with a lot of flowy things. There's a post up now about this store and catalog and the price of items. It's considered upscale. Just probably her choice because of her lifestyle.

Trusted Contributor

On 7/19/2014 missyw1 said:

I don't care for either of them. Pioneer woman is wealthy.

Don't see anything wrong with the Pioneer woman being wealthy. She and her husband have certainly worked hard for everything they have. Anyone who has a working ranch or knows someone who has one, knows the incredible hours and work involved. I had a grandfather and uncle who were farmers/ranchers so I know. One of the hardest jobs in America and kudos to those who do it and can make a good income doing so.

Respected Contributor

I enjoy watching Ree Drummond also. I have one of her holiday cookbooks and like it a lot.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 soonersis said:

Don't see anything wrong with the Pioneer woman being wealthy. She and her husband have certainly worked hard for everything they have. Anyone who has a working ranch or knows someone who has one, knows the incredible hours and work involved. I had a grandfather and uncle who were farmers/ranchers so I know. One of the hardest jobs in America and kudos to those who do it and can make a good income doing so.

Her husband's family is one of the largest landowners in the USA.

He was born on 3rd base.

I do give him credit for continuing the family tradition though. And Bree came up with the perfect profession for someone living on a ranch in the middle of no where - blogging.

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 puggirl said: Her clothes need to be updated. What's the deal with the lodge? That's not where they live.

They built it on their property for taping purposes.

Martha Stewart converted a barn on one of her properties for the same reason.

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 soonersis said:

I wasn't saying I didn't care for her, because she is wealthy. I don't care for their shows.

Paula changed after she became popular. . Ree isn't a good host. She needs to relax.

Super Contributor

Some of her online recipes are not carefully edited and while you can email her with a question about the recipe, she doesn't respond.
Super Contributor

On 7/19/2014 terrier3 said:

They built it on their property for taping purposes.

Martha Stewart converted a barn on one of her properties for the same reason.

I read that the Lodge is where Ladd used to live before they got married. But now they use it to film the show. The show's staff stay at the Lodge when they are filming.