Super Contributor

Who Has The Ninja - Does It Really Brown? As In...Brown Brown?

I'd like to know if the Ninja TSV actually does brown. The CE pressure cookers have a browning function, but they cycle on and off. So, the meat may begin to brown, but then the heat cycles off and the meat sweats in its own juices. Then the heat turns on again, and the water has to cook off before it browns again. I finally gave up on the CE PC and browned the meat in a pan on the stove.

Does the Ninja heat cycle on and off like this, when you have it on the highest browning setting? Does it actually SEAR, or just cycle on and off?

Thanks, - Bird

Trusted Contributor

Re: Who Has The Ninja - Does It Really Brown? As In...Brown Brown?

It browns beautifully. It does not cycle on & off. Without this function working properly, I would have sent it back. I use mine all the time. We made gumbo in it today.
Super Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Shelbybiskit said: It browns beautifully. It does not cycle on & off. Without this function working properly, I would have sent it back. I use mine all the time. We made gumbo in it today.

Thank you very much, Shelbybiskit. I appreciate the feedback. - Bird

Respected Contributor

It does really brown. I have the 3 in 1 and love it.

Honored Contributor

Is the steam hole in the lid a problem as some have said? Does all the liquid evaporate?

Respected Contributor

It does brown beautifully. Faeriemoon, yes, the hole does allow for evaporation. That is not a problem if you follow the recipe book and use it as a guideline: it is wonderful for steam roasting, steaming and steam baking..... but as I have said in previous posts, it fails as a crock pot....you can't set it and walk off because of the evaporation......but this appliance has great features: if you entertain, or even for holidays and small gatherings, the keep warm feature is terrific and frees up space. Poodlepet
Valued Contributor

Just a tip if you are able.....I use my ninja right on top my stovetop and I use the exhaust fan if needed. You won't want to use this under cabinets if you are doing lots of steaming.
Honored Contributor

On 10/1/2014 Poodlepet said: It does brown beautifully. Faeriemoon, yes, the hole does allow for evaporation. That is not a problem if you follow the recipe book and use it as a guideline: it is wonderful for steam roasting, steaming and steam baking..... but as I have said in previous posts, it fails as a crock pot....you can't set it and walk off because of the evaporation......but this appliance has great features: if you entertain, or even for holidays and small gatherings, the keep warm feature is terrific and frees up space. Poodlepet

Thank you!Smile