Valued Contributor

Which type of oil is best to use in the Instant Pot?

Well, here I am again with more questions about using the IP. Since I don't cook, I am very ignorant about a lot of things. This time, I'm wondering about what type of oil is the best (or perhaps I should say the safest) to use in the IP. I've been reading about the "smoke points" of different oils and read the following: "If you cook oil at a higher heat than its smoke point, it can cause free radicals to form, which can cause cancer." 

After reading that, I feel unsure about which oil to use. I think the IP only gets up in the 200s (forget what they said during the presentation) when pressure cooking, but what about when you're sauteing? Just trying to figure out how hot it may get to determine which oil is the right one to use. Could really use some advice please. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Which type of oil is best to use in the Instant Pot?

I just water-sauté everything (vegetables).

No one needs to add oil to foods. 

You can get beautiful browning on all foods w/ water sauté only.

Honored Contributor

Haven't got my new IPot yet, but, feel like it will be covered in the use & care

booklet.

Honored Contributor

never used any oil

If I need to saute I just use another well used pot then dump into the IP

I think you might be over thinking this,

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopperOne way to decide would be to read recipes designed for your Pot.  The oils used in some of them will give you useful info even if what you're making isn't that recipe.

Respected Contributor

Olive oil has a very low smoking point so i wouldn't use IT..canola or corn oil should be OK- Peanut oil has the highest smoking point..

Esteemed Contributor

I always use vegetable or canola oil; typically, the recipe should tell you which type to use.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I've always used evoo when I saute, but I googled to find out if it's ok

to use olive oil.

This is what I found...

The answer is yes! The Instant Pot reaches a maximum temperature of 338°F when sautéing. Extra virgin olive oil can be safely heated to 350⁰ - 410⁰ F and olive oil (regular, classic or light) can be heated to 390⁰ - 470°F

In pressure cooking mode, the Instant Pot reaches a peak cooking temperature of 244°F which is well below the smoke point of olive oil.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everybody for answering, and yes, jackthebear, you're right--I'm definitely overthinking it! Guess I got to wondering about all this when I was checking out videos for making pot roast with potatoes and carrots. Some of the people first sauteed the meat in the IP with olive oil. That got me checking out olive oil, which in turn, led me to reading about "smoke points" and so on. Guess I need to take a chill pill and just experiment with the IP and keep things simple!

Valued Contributor

I no sooner finished typing a response when I saw more of you had answered. Thanks to all of you, especially yellowrose. I really appreciate you looking up all of that info & posting it for me. THANKS EVERYONE!